Eco-Choice CAB50?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My basement is very well insulated, http://www.insofast.com/. the rim joist is also sealed with foam spray and the attic has 18" of blow in, windows are a few years old. My outside walls are only 2x4 with R-13, i think that's my weakest point.

Reactions: Arti
The r-13 is pretty standard. I think it is just as important to not have air leaks, especially you live out in the country, where it is more windy.

Have you played with the damper at all?

There is a damper under your ash pan. It will control how much air is going into your burn pot. I have not seen to many people talk about adjusting this, But when I get mine I will be playing with it, just for fun to see what happens.

Ah ok, I'll have to mess with it to. i guess get the feed rate and air right for the flame is what the goal is?

Ah ok, I'll have to mess with it to. i guess get the feed rate and air right for the flame is what the goal is?

I think so. Most I have seen, run it wide open. I did see a post a while back where someone was running it half shut maybe? I am sure it depends on your fuel.

I would think you could get more heat and less pellet use if it was dialed in. If you can get a good burn using less air, that should be less heat loss going out the vent? I am not sure, I don't know a whole lot about these things.

When I was looking at the one in the store, it looks like it might be best to adjust the damper screw, by going in from the top of the burn pot using a long screw driver.

I was kinda thinking more air less pellets while i was watching it last night, the pellets are even with the 2nd row of holes from the top and flame about 4 to 6 inches out of the pot.

I was kinda thinking more air less pellets while i was watching it last night, the pellets are even with the 2nd row of holes from the top and flame about 4 to 6 inches out of the pot.

It might be good the way it is, I have know idea. Just something I guess to try out and play with. I always seem to fiddle with stuff.

My basement is very well insulated, http://www.insofast.com/. the rim joist is also sealed with foam spray and the attic has 18" of blow in, windows are a few years old. My outside walls are only 2x4 with R-13, i think that's my weakest point.

Windows and doors with glass are everyones weakest point for R-Values. Even newer ones. Unless your home is uninsulated. Still the windows and doors are about the weakest point. I'm glad you guys like this stove since I am considering adding a Eco Cab 50 myself. I have seen most people are happy with them and they seem to be a very good bang for the buck.

Only had it for 2 nights now, now that the basement is been warmed (heats been off) up its now starting to heat up stair to, I haven't been this warm since i was a kid with my dads wood burner, love wood heat. Now just need the vents for the back rooms and it will be perfect. I think the stove is a great entry level stove and for the price its hard to beat, i have been looking for months comparing and reading. If i wanted the best for heat and looks i would get a harman p61 i love the heat and looks. That will be my next one in a few years, unless a new ones replaces it.

There is a damper under your ash pan. It will control how much air is going into your burn pot. I have not seen to many people talk about adjusting this, But when I get mine I will be playing with it, just for fun to see what happens.

Watch your exhaust for smoke this should indicate incomplete combustion.
If i could recall where i read it i'd link it, but best recollection is a 10% opacity is acceptable. How the 10% is determined is another question entirely. I try for not seeing a smoke plume at all or gone within a foot or so of the pipe.

The Harmans are hard to beat but you picked a good stove and for the money it's hard to beat the Eco 50's for the cost in my opinion from what I have seen about them.

Your basement is going to suck up a lot of heat. I see block walls and the concrete floor. That is tons of thermal mass that stove has to heat up before it will work the heat upstairs. Have you insulated all of the basement perimeter walls? That would be a big help. It looks like there is some type of insul board behind the stove in the pics. Have you hooked up an OAK?

Ya they were block last week but installed the insofast.

As you can see it goes all the way up to the sub floor, behind is the 2" sealed with foam spray.

Then i dry walled most of it. carpet is getting installed once the sanding of the mud is done. I have not installed the OAK, should i???

Good! You did yourself a huge favor.

Cleaned the stove out last night and this morning had 2 big clinkers, maybe a bad bag? lots of ash in this brand so i grabbed some from meijers made from oak i'll see how they burn tonight.

Cleaned the stove out last night and this morning had 2 big clinkers, maybe a bad bag? lots of ash in this brand so i grabbed some from meijers made from oak i'll see how they burn tonight.

what part of the state are you in? Did you pick up the greenways?

will do, cleaning it tonight and putting them in and see how a bag burns by morning hope to see better results

Reactions: Dpopps
Cleaned it up last night man a bag filled the tray around the burn pot up to the lip, so i cleaned it up and put the Greenway pellets in and burned it on medium with the rod slightly open like 1/2" and got at least half the ash build up, the heat seems warmer to burned 1/2 bag ish in 12 hours

Sounds like those pellets are decent. I hope mine burn good. Is the ash build up still low?

Did you put RTV silicone on every vent joint?

Its lower than the stuff i got at home depot for sure and i taped the joints with the aluminum duct tape. I was looking into ICC pipe I hear its very good

Installed this floor vent in the back bedroom to get some air moving was not expecting this much air movement with no fans

Any update on how those greenways are doing?

I am going to try and get my stove and hearth pad tomorrow, then install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.