Eco-Choice CAB50?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to pick up 4 or 5 brands at the pellet place after work. I guess each stove is different my fuel rod is halfway open and i get about the right flame. I'm going to install an OAK this week and see what it does then.

Reactions: nikeseer
Let me know about the brands, prices, and how they all work. Might have to take a drive north. :)

I used the stove for a day without the OAK, while I was building it. I did not see much difference.

You not suppose to use pvc or plastic. It is suppose to be metal.

Folks said that it's a fire hazard.

From what others have said the stove can backfire out the OAK and catch it on fire. All OAK kits are metal parts and pipe. When pvc burns it is very toxic.

I personal have no idea, but I used metal for mine.

The OAK on our stoves are very close to the vent and because we both have basement installs we need to go up. I had to cut my OAK on a angle away from the vent to not hit it. I think the inside diameter was 1.86 inch

I have no idea about the pvc, just passing along the info I seen on this forum.

If the stove backfires without an OAK its going to burn something regardless lol. Never heard of stoves back firing before didn't know they had an engine. I would like to see some evidence of this stove "backfire" from someone that has seen it in person.

Reactions: Dpopps
Due to draft failing, i guess if you loss power or the blower and don't have the vent pipe set up to handle the draft right you would be in trouble. That's what my take from it so far. I have, adapter to T to adjustable 14" into a 36" into 90 and 2' to the end cap. So 6' vertical and 2' horizontal.

Just picked up some bags in grayling they have 8 or so brands including 3 brands of softwood including Douglas fir

Can'y say I ever used them, but the Somersets have quite the following to them that swear by them

I have never seen any of those around me. When are you going to try them out? Did they say if there was a discounted early season pre buy price?

I'm installing my OAK now and putting the soft pellets in first :) That price is what they are

I will only burn Somersets. If they are out....ill try something else but so far I havent had any luck at all with anything else. Down to 6 tons of Somersets.

Well got the OAK installed and dumped in the Pine pellets and its a raging furnace now, very different burn, hot to

Last edited:

Made my own for 25 bucks, not paying 160 for the kit that's ridiculous

Last edited:
Ok just burned 2 bags of the softwood non stop and just pulled the rod on the pot and this is all i have! loving the softwood

I still have the sumerset and the other hardwood to try but so far i'm very happy with the heat and ash of this pine. Its 20::F out running on medium with fuel rod shut and it's 78::F in the basement 74::F upstairs and 68::F in the back bedrooms. Very happy with this setup so far.

Does any one have experience with the CAB50? i was looking it over and seemed like a good built unit but looks are not always what they seem. My house is single story with 2x4 walls built in 77' with newer pella windows. 944sqf main floor and same in basement. i would like to install it down in the family room. i have the origanal boiler from 77 so its very propane hungry. Basement is getting insofast 2.0 insulation and drywall in a few weeks, plus sill plate is getting spray foamed

Price is $1299 at family farm and home
Just started my 4th winter with it. Runs like a top.

Status
Not open for further replies.