Ecotek ash problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbe01l

Dec 27, 2013
PA
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this problem. I clean the stove every 24 hrs and burn O'Malley pellets. The problem I'm having is that the ash doesn't clear out from the combustion chamber and the pellets keep burning on top of the ash. I've adjusted the draught and the amount of pellets that drop into combustion chamber nothing seems to be working. The pellets normal; burned a 1/2ton and not have had a single problem. I new to the seen so any info would be great !! Thanks

Which Ecoteck do you have, how old is the stove and when was the last time you cleaned internal exhaust pathways and venting? Supposed to be cleaned every 1000 hours of burn time. What do you have for venting (diameter, elbows, clean-out, horizontal and vertical)? What power level have you been burning on?

Welcome to the forum and hope we can get you burning happy;lol

I have the Monica model with a 3 1/2" exhaust. The stove is vented out the roof(vertically). There is a "T " (bottom of tee seems to be glued) with a clean out. Then approx. 12" before ceiling there is a 45 to bypass /miss a stud in the attic. The stove has 786 burn hours and was installed Nov 8 2013 -new. The burn level has varied depending on temperature. I'm guessing it needs cleaned out at the "T", any idea how to get the bottom of that "T" off? Thanks :)

Ok , got the bottom of tee off ,cleaned , vacuumed and fired it back up and still doing same thing. One other thing it has been raining .... How much does weather effect these stoves ?

You have 3" venting. What is the vertical height of your exhaust run?

Not just the venting needs to be cleaned but the internal exhaust pathways. Turn off, shut off and disconnect cord. You will need appropriate screwdriver head for the screws and a metric #8 wrench. Remove hopper lid and ceramics. I think inspection ports are on the side - rectangle with orange silicone gaskets. If you use a ash vac, make sure filter is clean. I use a shop vac with drywall bag. I have a dryer vent brush to pull fly ash off internal pathway. I tape a tube to my shop vac adapter so I can vacuum up, down, front and around back. Replace ceramics and hopper lid - don't forget to reconnect the hopper lid switch;)

Make sure you are also cleaning the shelf around the heat exchange tubes in the fire box. My ash vac does not get everything off so I use a 1" putty knife to draw ash off the shelf into the fire box. Shop vac does a better job - but I'm paranoid about fire risk. That risk is minimized when doing the internal clean because of the time required to remove ceramics and do internal pathways...

Ok , got the bottom of tee off ,cleaned , vacuumed and fired it back up and still doing same thing. One other thing it has been raining .... How much does weather effect these stoves ?
Sounds like you need to do a more serious cleaning than just vacuuming the T. You probably need to run a Linteater up and down the pipe. 786hrs is plenty of time to burn more than 1 ton of pellets, so a total vent pipe cleaning, especially the first time, should be done. Also, you didn't say how tall your vent pipe is, but if it goes thru an attic, it's starting to sound quite tall! And, the 3.5" is the exterior diameter of the pipe? Making that a 3" ID pipe, right?

Yeah, I wondered about the EVL too. EVL is equivalent vertical length with a max of 15 EVL cut off to switch to 4" venting. Elbows/clean out t = 5; 45 degrees = 2.5; each foot horizontal = 1; each foot vertical = .5 You're at 7.5 already - what is the vertical height? Weather should not have that great of an effect as long as the appropriate cap and size venting is used. Self install or dealer?

Can use tubing at the clean out T to vacuum toward the exhaust blower just be careful you don't hit barb or blower blades (not too far in). Disconnect vacuum line at the switch end and vacuum the clear tubing too.

Sent you a PM ...

Not just the venting needs to be cleaned but the internal exhaust pathways. Turn off, shut off and disconnect cord. You will need appropriate screwdriver head for the screws and a metric #8 wrench. Remove hopper lid and ceramics. I think inspection ports are on the side - rectangle with orange silicone gaskets. If you use a ash vac, make sure filter is clean. I use a shop vac with drywall bag. I have a dryer vent brush to pull fly ash off internal pathway. I tape a tube to my shop vac adapter so I can vacuum up, down, front and around back. Replace ceramics and hopper lid - don't forget to reconnect the hopper lid switch;)

Make sure you are also cleaning the shelf around the heat exchange tubes in the fire box. My ash vac does not get everything off so I use a 1" putty knife to draw ash off the shelf into the fire box. Shop vac does a better job - but I'm paranoid about fire risk. That risk is minimized when doing the internal clean because of the time required to remove ceramics and do internal pathways...

Sounds like you need to do a more serious cleaning than just vacuuming the T. You probably need to run a Linteater up and down the pipe. 786hrs is plenty of time to burn more than 1 ton of pellets, so a total vent pipe cleaning, especially the first time, should be done. Also, you didn't say how tall your vent pipe is, but if it goes thru an attic, it's starting to sound quite tall! And, the 3.5" is the exterior diameter of the pipe? Making that a 3" ID pipe, right?
Yes , it's a 3" pipe. From the top of clean out "T" there is a 5' run of pipe , to the beginning of the 45. The 45 from end to end is 17" then countiues front the top of the 45 to the outside is 4'

Cleaned as recommended everything is up and running great ! I took the tubes apart and cleaned .....Could not believe how a little ash could clog everything ! Thanks a million

Your close to the total EVL on your venting - means you likely will have to clean venting/exhaust more frequently than 1000 hours. Let me know if you get the two emails - internet is being difficult today:(

Your close to the total EVL on your venting - means you likely will have to clean venting/exhaust more frequently than 1000 hours. Let me know if you get the two emails - internet is being difficult today:(
Yup, got the emails
Thanks

Check out the use of a leaf blower,LGT, to do frequent cleanings. Keeps ours happy

Reactions: jbe01l
Nothing like a 200 mph vacuum to keep that ash from collecting in those hard to get passages. Just remember to keep the door open and disconnect the vacuum switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.