Educate me about ATV's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jlove1974 even though lots of hondas are button shift there is still the shift shaft on the transmission with a shifter in the tool kit. As far as a belt drive mine has lasted better than expected in my traxter max 650. If you can do a little maint. a belt can be changed fo as low as 35 bucks or so. If you can get a good deal on one that has been taken care of im not sure i wood worry about brand or type of tranny. How much money you want to spend means a lot in this situation.

Winchline on my atv breaks every winter from all the in/out snowplow use. It gets frayed and "mashed" and then will break. There are other things available for the last 5' or so on the line if you are using your snowplow primarily. I still use the steel cable...and try and cut off the first 5' or so every fall. But by Jan or Feb, it still breaks! Not the end of the world, jsut a PITA.

Thanks bpirger. Now I know to keep extra clamps on hand. I was not aware of this happening.

Hey Ketten,
I have the same Kawasaki Lakota 300cc sport model ATV as you have. Mine is a 2003. I don't have a hitch on mine. I have not found one for it, so I have been looking at fabricating one for some time now. Did yours come with a hitch? Where did you get it?

Thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

I made it out of a 4" stainless steel ball valve bracket I got from work. Had to do some fabrication but it works.

My Lakota is a '96. There was a thread on here about making ATV hitches out of wood, not sure of the title.

If you want I'll post some pics of mine.

Ketten,
A picture or 2 would be great. You can post them here or PM to me. So far my idea was to use a pair of plumbers pipe clamps around the center axel's hub. Then a piece of kindorf for the ball and pin type hitch. I have gathered a few parts to get started, but haven't been motivated enough to get started. But.....since I put a 2 inch hitch on the splitter I now have something I can pull around with the ATV. I do need to get a small trailer for the ATV.
Where in PA are you?

Thanks
Tom

My hitch mounts on the frame under the seat, not on or near the axle. I'll get pic's when I get home.

The part I used is a reinforced L shape that had the correct size hole for the ball. I mounted the other leg of the "L" to the frame under the seat and added a strut to brace it lengthwise to stabilize it during braking and acceleration.

I am in northern Schuylkill County, near Hazleton, where are you?

Here are the pic's.
This is a view from behind. Had to turn the tailight to get access. It's not pretty but it works. Other pic is a side view, you can see the thin strap that goes from the bottom of the hitch to near the battery box to act as a brace.

Attachments

• hitch rear.jpg
    hitch rear.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 160
  • hitch side.jpg
    hitch side.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 161
Thanks for the pictures. That's a good hitch for the splitter because you don't have to fold up the leg. I might do the same. I got back to working on the lower axel hitch i have been thinking about for some time. If the pictures works below you can see it's not all done. I have to replace a few bolts and add the ball.
We are in Pike county, lackawaxen PA

Tom

Attachments

• ATV Hitch IMG00077-20110402-1336.jpg
    ATV Hitch IMG00077-20110402-1336.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 139
Hey Tom,

I usually fold the support leg anyway as I have some uneven terrain between the wood pile and the garage. I also like the higher mount point because I don't have to unhitch at the woodpile. It keeps the machine level and at a good work height.
I never considered mounting right to the axle/swingarm. Is this typical for manufacturer supplied ATV hitches? What you have there will work good as well once it is complete.

Ketten,
The OEM ones I have seen mount on the main drive axle. I think it would help with the trailer load pulling and pushing the suspension. I did find a few after market hitches, but couldn't find one for my ATV. So mine is not my idea, just a copy of ones I have seen. Now that the hitch is ready I am looking for a small trailer for hauling wood.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.