EF2 not dropping enough pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I have my EF2 on 'full blast' and it doesnt seem to be dropping the right amount of pellets as in the past. The burn pot doesn't even get half full, even with the air all the way closed. Is there anything I can check.

There are to many variables to give you a starting point
Are you using a different brand of pellet from the last time you
burnt the stove wide open ? The pellet many be longer
which decreases the number of pellets dropped at each
timed interval . The dial a fire knob is the only adjustment other than air
the auger bushings may be wearing out ,the timer relay module may
be going ' As long as you are getting enough heat for your need
I would not worry about it until something gives up

There are to many variables to give you a starting point
Are you using a different brand of pellet from the last time you
burnt the stove wide open ? The pellet many be longer
which decreases the number of pellets dropped at each
timed interval . The dial a fire knob is the only adjustment other than air
the auger bushings may be wearing out ,the timer relay module may
be going ' As long as you are getting enough heat for your need
I would not worry about it until something gives up

Same pellets..... any way to check the augur. I just replaced it in 2014 (i believe) wasnt terribly long ago. anyway to check or bypass the timer relay? NO, the heat out of this has been dismal all season. my crappy PDVC is producing more heat this year and it has always been the other way around.

If the only thing you have changed on the stove is the auger
then I would suspect that you have the wrong one .
When was the last time you did a full cleaning including removal
of the steal parts in the fire box ?
The auger motor may be weak but they normally work or don't work
Do you have a manual ?

Its the correct augur. This stove ran great last year and before. I deep cleaned it in November. Actually I put a new room blower on it this year. I can go about 16-17 hours on bag of pellets. If I turn the dial back at all the fire will go out. So I know it's not pouring out pellets like it should. I can stick my hand in front of the blowing air for ever. It is not hot.

Did this just start happening? If so, empty out the hopper and look for chunks of pellets. May have once been stored outside and a moisture in a bag will clump it together. The clump gets close to the auger and pellets are slow if not stopped from getting around it. There are repair manuals and such for this model.

When you say "full blast" do you mean the dial a fire is all the right up (past 3 oclock?) And if so, is the auger running almost continuously? It should be. At around 12 oclock, the auger should be on about 3 secs, off 6-8 seconds, you should have good flame and heat output at 12-1 oclock. If not, lack of air flow, auger tube might be partially clogged, auger could be slipping, bad dial a fire, or perhaps a good full cleaning is due, the internals removed and cleaned along with the top baffle/convection tubes. The EF2/3 stoves are solid heaters, do you have a manual? If not, go to Enviro's website, they also have a troubleshooting guide to download that are big helpers too. Good luck with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.