EF3 pellet dtove will not start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve1000

Hearth Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
Canada
Hi everyone,

I have recently had trouyble running my EF3 pellet stove. It was burning very lazy for a while and the slider damper was stuck. I managed to get the damper opened and I gave the entire stove a good cleaning.

After all that, the fire was burning great for a few hours at least. then the auger stoped working and the green light just stays on. there is no pellets coming out now.

when I try to start the stove now is basically does nothing. the pot heats up but no pellets come out.

HELP!!! any ideas of what I could try? It seems strange that is worked so well for just a few hours and then stopped.

My wife is giving me a hell of a time about this, and help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Steve

Sound like an auger jam, Or a bad auger motor.

Could also test the air switch. If the switch is bad or dirty hose. It will prevent the auger from coming on.

Your owners manual is your best friend when it comes to these stoves. Check it to see what it says.

Post back your results!
jay

Rubber hoses? wow I didnt even see those when I tore the stove apart...they must be deep in the unit???

We got a new auger motor last year so I hope it is not that.

any idea how to unjam the auger is that may be the case?

SteveBig said:
Rubber hoses? wow I didnt even see those when I tore the stove apart...they must be deep in the unit???

We got a new auger motor last year so I hope it is not that.

any idea how to unjam the auger is that may be the case?

Check the hose first! Take the rear cover of the stove, Find the hose. Remove it from the switch and blow air back to the firebox(might just be glogged).

To unjam the auger. Remove all the pellets from the stove. use a vacuum cleaner to suck it out. see if you can turn the auger(must unhook the motor first) If it turns hook the motor back up and retry!

Jay

When you say unhook the motor, do you mean unplug, or literally disconnect the wires? or? remove the whole motor from the stove completely?

Why do you need to disconnect the motor to turn the auger?

I am assuming you mean take the motor right out so the auger can move without the motor moving, is that right? just a guess here

I will try the hose first....

going to try it now, thanks for the help everyone!!!

Rubber Hose.

If you face your stove from the front (facing the flame). The side door on the left houses your Exhaust blower and slide damper. I believe a T-10 Torx driver is what you need to open the panel. Two screws one near the front of the stove at the top. And one behind the magnetic trim bracket on the front down low. Unscrew the knob on the slide damper. Open the panel. Inside you will see the exhaust blower, the slide damper and a rubber hose that runs from the rear of the combustion chamber on the right to a vacuum switch mounted on the rear panel of the stove on the left. On mine the hose is reddish in color. Remove the hose from both ends and check for any leaks and blow it out. While you have it off blow out the vacuum switch and chamber connections with canned air. BTW the hose re-attaches to the top of the vacuum switch not the bottom (DAMHIKT).

Not sure if this will solve your no feed problem but it is a step in the right direction.

---Nailer---

CZARCAR said:
rubber hose hooks on vacumn switch & proves to the switch via vacumn from exhaust blower that it is working. if vacumn switch leaks or hose has leak, system will not work. carefull if u test vswitch with suction, inner bladder may bust. u can test setup by jumping the wires on vacumn switch i thinx.

You thinx correct!!!

SteveBig said:
When you say unhook the motor, do you mean unplug, or literally disconnect the wires? or? remove the whole motor from the stove completely?

Why do you need to disconnect the motor to turn the auger?

I am assuming you mean take the motor right out so the auger can move without the motor moving, is that right? just a guess here

I will try the hose first....

going to try it now, thanks for the help everyone!!!

Please read the tips in the yellow sticky pages at the top of the pellet room
this will shed some light
For good troubleshooting you need to start with cleaning the stove
this mean a good service like explained in the tips in the sticky pages

Status
Not open for further replies.