Efficiency question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTDave

Feb 23, 2019
NW Montana
I am currently using an older Garrett wood stove, guessing from the 80s. It has a baffle that warped, had a welder replace it, usually works just fine. I am considering replacing it with a newer used stove, maybe a Jotul rangeley. Main question is, wood I go through noticeably less wood over a winter? Currently go through about five cords. My back, shoulder, and wife would all appreciate less/time labor involved in procuring enough wood to get us through a winter, though if there really isn't much of a difference would just keep the Garrett. Thanks for thoughts.

The Rangeley has been dropped so far, but the Carrabansett is still sold and a good heater. I am not familiar with the Garrett, but if it is pre-EPA then the F55 will definitely use less wood while providing a nice fire show.

The Rangeley has been dropped so far, but the Carrabansett is still sold and a good heater. I am not familiar with the Garrett, but if it is pre-EPA then the F55 will definitely use less wood while providing a nice fire show.
No EPA identifiers on the Garrett, so must be pre-EPA. Read somewhere that newer stoves can burn up to a third less wood to achieve same btu output, wondering if this is realistic.

I have a Jotul FC 3B as a secondary stove, it was in the main living area, though moved it to the first floor as it was too small. Doesn't get much use, only when temps are teens or lower for several days. I do know it is pickier about what wood goes through it, assuming the larger Jotuls would have similar attributes in terms of wanting low moisture content wood.

8 inch or 6 inch venting? Did yours come with the soapstone on top? Kind of neat looking stoves. Can't imagine it's very efficient. Do you have any local stove dealers with inventory? What's available? Could be the limiting factor on new stove choice. Good luck.

A new Jotul F55 will use significantly less wood than the old Garrison while providing a great fire show.

Two ways to move forward. Upgrade to a modern stove which will save wood. Then consider buying wood or logs in order to reduce the annual efforts and make it easier on your body. Even purchased wood is almost always much cheaper than the next more expensive heat source.

I burn 5 cords a year as well. Buy logs. Takes one day to cut it all, one day to split it all, and then I stack it over a few days.

Two ways to move forward. Upgrade to a modern stove which will save wood. Then consider buying wood or logs in order to reduce the annual efforts and make it easier on your body. Even purchased wood is almost always much cheaper than the next more expensive heat source.

I burn 5 cords a year as well. Buy logs. Takes one day to cut it all, one day to split it all, and then I stack it over a few days.
lol, 5 cords split in one day - there's me with my x27 and maul from fiskars looking at a 3 cord bucked pile. After work half an hour before family/kids demand attention. Weekends, well, baseball, lacrosse, cleaning, mowing, pool cleaning. Oh, and half an hour of splitting ;p
Well, it does get finished. Eventually. I split about 8 cords this Covid year and a half. Now the shed is full (3 yr rotation) and it's 2.5-3 cords a year from here on out.

No EPA identifiers on the Garrett, so must be pre-EPA. Read somewhere that newer stoves can burn up to a third less wood to achieve same btu output, wondering if this is realistic.

I have a Jotul FC 3B as a secondary stove, it was in the main living area, though moved it to the first floor as it was too small. Doesn't get much use, only when temps are teens or lower for several days. I do know it is pickier about what wood goes through it, assuming the larger Jotuls would have similar attributes in terms of wanting low moisture content wood.
Yes all new stoves require firewood less than 25% for optimal performance. You may even reduce your wood consumption with your Garrison with better wood.

8 inch or 6 inch venting? Did yours come with the soapstone on top? Kind of neat looking stoves. Can't imagine it's very efficient. Do you have any local stove dealers with inventory? What's available? Could be the limiting factor on new stove choice. Good luck.
6" flue, no soapstone on top. There is a dealer that sells both Jotul and PE, was considering going with a PE, though just saw a used Jotul pop up, so thought I could save some money.

Looked into buying logs, still pretty expensive compared to a gallon of gas through the chain saw. Did pick up a log splitter this year, which I swore I'd never do, though splitting over a cord of unseasoned wood in about a half hour was a rather life altering experience.

Looked into buying logs, still pretty expensive compared to a gallon of gas through the chain saw. Did pick up a log splitter this year, which I swore I'd never do, though splitting over a cord of unseasoned wood in about a half hour was a rather life altering experience.

Buying logs costs more than nothing but saves a huge amount of time and effort. Gets it all in one place.

On the splitting, take your time but keep at it. Slow and steady, just get into the zone. Worst part for me is my grip strength in my throwing arm gets weak near the end.