EKO and storage plumbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill the Dog

Mar 10, 2008
Central Wisconsin
Good Morning all,
I've been mostly a lurker for a few years now. I need a bit of advise on plumbing that I just can't seem to get my head around. I've read the simple storage post multiple times, but I just don't seem to get it.
Here's my setup. I have an EKO 80 out in my detached garage (it's actually in a small, heated room in this unheated shed). I've been running the boiler for 2.5 years with no storage. My current plumbing is a simple flow from the Boiler, through a Taco 10 (on 24/7), underground run to my forced air furnace, looped through a DHW side arm and back to the boiler. I have procured Two 1000 gallon steel tanks and mounted them in my garage, just adjacent to the boiler. I have purchased the correct amount of expansion tanks. I want to continue to a) heat the house via the exchanger in my forced air furnace, b) heat my DHW, c) Heat my attached 3 car garage, and c) have one more loop (zone?) for future use (hot tub maybe?).
I think I understand how to plumb in a manifold with 4 loops (zones), but I am totally unsure about how to get the water to flow where I want it to go, when I want it to go there. I think I understand the aquastat for the DHW wiring to my Taco 10, but the zone valves for house heat and garage heat and the wiring for them seems to be beyond me.

I've got a plumber coming in a couple of weeks and we both could use any and all advice about how to run this setup.

Bill the Dog

Sit down with your plumber and look at the 'Simplest Pressurized Storage' design - see if it makes sense to him.

Basically, there are two clockwise loops. The first is clockwise through the wood boiler to the top of storage, through storage, and back to the wood boiler. That loop should be running any time that the wood boiler is producing heat.

The second loop is clockwise from the top of storage, through the loads, and back to storage. That loop should run whenever any zone valve is open. Each zone valve is controlled by a thermostat or aquastat. It can get more complex, but that's the basics.

I'm also interested in your 24/7 circulator - it runs even when the EKO isn't firing?

Status
Not open for further replies.