Electric Chain Sharpening - Really this easy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way! I do use files in the field along with a Stihl 12v electric sharpener that is like a dremel.Same thing really but it connects to 12v which makes its easy.I do like that Timberline sharpener though.It holds the file in the exact angle needed which is important to sharpening.I am good with a file but no hand on earth is as steady as a machine that makes it hold perfectly still.I love stuff like this though most is junk.I would buy this in a heartbeat.

That's got to be 5x slower than using the Dremel. With the Dremel you can sharpen with the chain still on the bar and it just takes a quick second for each cutter. I go down the whole bar one way then spin the chain around... usually have to go down the bar 3x to get all the cutters. Then I sharpen all the other side cutters the same way. I can sharpen my 20" bar/chain in 1-2 minutes.

That's got to be 5x slower than using the Dremel. With the Dremel you can sharpen with the chain still on the bar and it just takes a quick second for each cutter. I go down the whole bar one way then spin the chain around... usually have to go down the bar 3x to get all the cutters. Then I sharpen all the other side cutters the same way. I can sharpen my 20" bar/chain in 1-2 minutes.

+100! Exactly what I was thinking. I got the dremel attadchment last year and love it, very fast and very sharp. The grinder thingy looks like it would take forever.

yep the grinder is way to go if you need real shapening 411-511 used are well cheap if ya look hard enuff . this plastic/poly junk is for folks that cut corners then B&%$H wen they realize they been had.. I use lotsa square ground chain rslf or such i never put a grinder to that must be filed 3 step process .. but the cutting is unreal makes you learn to cut well and to know wer ur bar is .. cuz ifnot you will be filing awhile he he.

Status
Not open for further replies.