Emergency Substitute - Dry Den from Bear Mountain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmwessel

Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2007
Dundee, OR
I didn't store pellets because I have no place to keep them...will have to buy a shed next year. Everyone I could reach by phone has sold out of pellets until Friday. Can I burn Dry Den for a couple days? From what I could gather from Bear Mountain's website, the only additive is zeolite which is minerals? And actually it's about 30 cents cheaper per bag than Golden Fire.

ps...if I can't put up a shed for storage, is a pallet and a tarp sufficient or is it a recipe for rodents to nest?

Do you have a basement or spare room? I'd hate to leave them open to the weather. Murphy's law and all that.

Matt

Welcome to the forum no shivers.

As for storing the pallets, do a search on pellet storage and I think that you will find that some do store them outside with success.

Me, I have them in the garage.

Kenny

I stored two tons at a time in a fairly small space in the garage. Selling that house and pellet stove so only got 10 bags this year. Still have 5 as we are not living in the house - but I've heard and read about the pellet shortage here in the West. Bear Mtn web site gives some reasons and says next year will be better. Of course, that doesn't keep you warm right now.

Bear Mountain's answer to question about burning Dry Den:

Dry Den is NOT recommended for burning in pellet stoves. The natural
'zeolites' in Dry Den have not been tested in stoves and I would be
concerned that they may damage some of the metal work inside the stove.

We are aware of the shortages and understand that finding pellets has
been difficult. In our area Wilco will still be the best option as we
are shipping regularly to all Wilco stores.

Regards,

Stan

Stan:
This doesn't sound good. Seems they added a synthetic crystal to absorb moisture. I would think that heating will change the crystal and may in-fact harm your stove. I wouldn't chance it. Wait the few days and get the good stuff. If you have no place to store extra, use the trunk and the back seat of your car. Better than freezing. I use my Summer Van to store extra pellets. My ton from November is waiting to be tapped. Don't use the van in Winter, it's squirrelly in the road with ice and snow.

no shivers said:
Bear Mountain's answer to question about burning Dry Den:

Dry Den is NOT recommended for burning in pellet stoves. The natural
'zeolites' in Dry Den have not been tested in stoves and I would be
concerned that they may damage some of the metal work inside the stove.

We are aware of the shortages and understand that finding pellets has
been difficult. In our area Wilco will still be the best option as we
are shipping regularly to all Wilco stores.

Regards,

Stan

The Zeolyte is supposed to be a mineral substance which helps absorbs odors. The Dry Den isi used as animal bedding (horse, cat litter, etc) and is in supply and cheaper - whereas the feed stores will not get the wood pellets until Friday. I'll get a load and will keep some in my truck and maybe empty my hall closet - put stuff in the attic - so I can store some pellets in there. I have some electric heaters in the meantime.

Thanks!

Not Shivering in Dundee, OR

No Shivers, I'm next door in Newberg. I using the old oil stove until I can finally make a decision on a new wood stove. Liked pellets for our set up in Cottage Grove but have more of a wood supply here. Hope you didn't have to travel yesterday in all the snow - Do you live up the hill in Dundee? Stay warm - if I had a bag of pellets here I'd bring 'em on over.

No I'm on the "other side of the tracks." I didn't go out yesterday, but did today. A lot of the roads not cleared or sanded.

I love my pellet stove. This is my second one. The last one was completely manual and vented into the house if the power went out (probably not properly hooked up). This one is electronic - thermostat and self-igniting. Such a cozy heat.

There are so many piles of firewood on the vacant lot behind me, I've been tempted to build a nice fire in my porch fire-pit. But that would mean stepping out from in front of my Heat Dish.

Stay warm.

No Shivers

Status
Not open for further replies.