Enabling Significant Other

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard as an adult to have someone tell you you're doing something all wrong then try to explain it to you like you're a child. Personally I hate screwing up and even more when someone points it out!

Recently I reloaded the stove at night and pushed the air control in a bit quicker than normal because I was tired. Darned if I didn't wake up to half burn splits in the morning. Somehow we managed to avoid the discussion regarding how that happened. And about three days later, I came home and saw the stove dark. figured I'd throw some splits in while DH made dinner. And found he did the same thing, lol-two smouldering splits greeted me when I opened the door. I just went ahead and tried to get them going again. When he noticed and said it was going good when he left, I said it was the same thing that happened to me the other day. Neither of us is used to burning truley seasoned wood and we both got a little carried away with the air control.

I imagine pretty much everyone had a learning curve when starting to run their stove/furnace/fireplace whether they want to admit it (especially to their SO) or not. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to do, though-hey honey, I noticed the wood was smoldering, that happened to me too, but I figured out if I did this it didn't happen/when I did this it did-want me to show you what I learned?

Just this year we got a "new" lawn tractor-a neat old Gravely 8000 series from a neighbor that had passed on. We had to learn to use it together, since it is quite a bit different than my old wheelhorse or dh's old (new) craftsman. I even drove it in front of DH (usually I'm afraid I'll make a horses rear out of myself with something mechanical in front of him, I'd rather learn with no audience). At this point in our lives it's a little harder to take instruction, especially if you're used to being a go to person at work or otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
There isn't a person here that hasn't made a mistake or many while burning wood. Sometimes we forget this. Which at our age happens more frequently.

My wife knows it when I am going through a learning curve "if I am having a bad day you are having a bad day";lol

it is quite a bit different than my old wheelhorse or dh's old (new) craftsman. I even drove it in front of DH

whew - I'm not sure why, but for a second there I thought you said you drove over him ... ;lol

Reactions: eclecticcottage
whew - I'm not sure why, but for a second there I thought you said you drove over him ... ;lol

Lol...there have been times where the thought may possibly have crossed my mind...

Anyone care for my opinion? Women refuse to run a wood stove on their own for a variety of reasons.
Some women consider a stove to be part of the maintenance of the house, like fixing a leaky toilet or roof and view it as 'men's work.'
Other gals don't like the wood dust and ashes in the house. It's just one more clean-up chore for the mama. Refusing to operate the stove is their way of protesting. Maybe if the man swept up the mess once in a while, she would look more fondly at the stove chores.
Some women don't want to be good at running the stove, just like men don't want to be good at changing diapers. (You might have to do it more often, right?)
A surprising number of women prefer long painted nails and pretty hands instead of being really warm. Get her a pair of leather gloves and tell her how stunningly gorgeous she is when she's putting wood in the stove. Try not to giggle when you say this.
Women have smaller hands and might find it difficult to handle manly sized splits. Try cutting logs shorter and splitting smaller.
Some gals are just plain lazy. Sorry. No cure for this one.

My husband would cut and split wood, but the running of the stoves was up to me. If he was really cold, he would throw a log in. Can't tell you how many times I came home to a cold house. I remember being 9 months pregnant and out splitting kindling for the cookstove. When he heard my parents coming down the drive way, he came out and took the ax away from me so my parents wouldn't see their pregnant daughter splitting wood.

I remember being 9 months pregnant and out splitting kindling for the cookstove. When he heard my parents coming down the drive way, he came out and took the ax away from me so my parents wouldn't see their pregnant daughter splitting wood.

wow... speechless....

Status
Not open for further replies.