Encore 1450 airflow diagram, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dra12901

Nov 28, 2015
Schuyler Falls, NY
I recently adopted a VT Castings Encore 1450N that I'm having an airflow problem with.
The stove appears to be in great shape- no warped or cracked panels. The previous owners were quite proud of how well they cared for their stove, and it shows. The stove draws very well until I close the secondary damper (not sure of the exact name but it's the damper that closes the door at the back, top of the firebox.) This stove is supposedly a non-catalytic stove. As soon as I close this damper the stove loses a lot of its draw and will just about go out, something that I would think would tend to indicate that the gaskets are still in good shape.
Before I moved it into my home I cleaned it out thoroughly with a garden hose. I noticed some accumulated fly ash on the sides of the refractory box but cleaned that out through the opening where the stove pipe adapter attaches. It now has all new 8" stove pipe and a brand new rain cap on the roof.
I'm afraid that the stove may still have some built-up fly ash in places that I couldn't get to to clean, and this is blocking the air flow through the stove.
Does anyone know where I can locate an airflow diagram for this stove? I'm hoping that one of these days when it's not too cold, I can let the stove go out and try cleaning it or maybe even try blowing air through the various air passages. Has anyone ever done this? Will it work? If so, where should I try blowing it out?
Thanks for any help that anyone can offer. This is our third VT Castings stove and I've always been very pleased with them. Fascinating web site, BTW!
Dan in Schuyler Falls, NY

I have the same model. Don't know what year yours was manufactured but mine is a 2007 model. If you don't have the manual, download it. There are specific instructions on vacuuming out the 'fountain' in the rear of the stove.... not that the manual will save you from the inevitable issues inherent with that stove. You must remove the chimney connector in order to do this and access the fountain assembly through the flue collar. I'm thinking that you have a clog on the right and/or left sides of the bottom of the fountain. That's where the junk accumulates. There's also the possibility that the fountain is completely gone and the remnants of it are what's blocking air flow.

FYI.... search the site for issues related to your stove. You and I have share some common issues due to poor engineering. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.