Encore Cat Damper Won't Close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
Finally got our chimney relined and our new stove installed. Did three warmup burns to <500 F. Just now got to the point where I was ready to close the damper and engage the cat. Only trouble is that the damper won't stay closed (unless I hold it there). I'm guessing this is something I need to call my dealer about tomorrow, but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it here.

Also, there's a big difference in temps (by IR) between the griddle (which they say is where to set a stovetop thermometer), a point on top a few inches back of that, and the flue connector to the double wall. My most recent readings there were 560 griddle, 715 back of stove top, and 715 in the flue connector. Rather makes me wonder which I should use to to determine when to engage the cat. Manual says 450, but griddle temp is the lowest of these by a large margin - especially when the stove is just heating up. Would hate to overfire by engaging the cat based on the wrong reading.

BTW, I will start backing off on the air now...

Thanks in advance,

John

I'd check the handle set screws, and their placement first.

summit said:
I'd check the handle set screws, and their placement first.

Thanks, I'll give this a try when the stove is cool again. ☺

There's an adjustment screw in the center of the damper. Just loosten the lock nut, tighten the screw in until the damper does what it should, then tighten the nut again. Sounds easy, right? Give a try...

defiant3 said:
There's an adjustment screw in the center of the damper. Just loosten the lock nut, tighten the screw in until the damper does what it should, then tighten the nut again. Sounds easy, right? Give a try...

Tried that, by 1/2 turn at a time. Now I have a damper that's mostly closed. Called the local shop, and we agreed the best thing to do is to remove the flue connector and work it from both sides...

When I burned my Encore, it was 600 degrees surface temp on the griddle and shut the damper for 8 hours.

Franks said:
When I burned my Encore, it was 600 degrees surface temp on the griddle and shut the damper for 8 hours.

Thanks - Did you happen to notice if your stove also had a higher surface temp just behind the griddle?

defiant3 said:
Mostly closed?

Not sure what you mean, but is that how these dampers work. Not full closed, but maybe 1/4 to 3/8" open at the top? If so, maybe I'm trying to fix what's not broken...

JV_Thimble said:
defiant3 said:

Tried that, by 1/2 turn at a time. Now I have a damper that's mostly closed. Called the local shop, and we agreed the best thing to do is to remove the flue connector and work it from both sides...

FYI, this didn't work either. One of the screws/bolts on the flue connector must be cross-threaded. If Kroil, vice-grips and a a properly sized phillips screwdriver won't budge the screw, something's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.