Encore questions: refractory replacement? Leaks? How to DIY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
My refractory body in my 2550 Encore has crumbled. I ordered a new one...I was able to 'peel' out the old one. I see that it fits under the cast iron housing above it. I fear that I have no idea how to install the new one. It is so expensive that I do not want to damage it. Anyone know how to install this thing?

Also, now that the stove is nice and clean inside (Wire brush and vacuumed), can I do any sealing with cement to any of the joints? I am going to put in all new gaskets, but would like to seal up any 'unknown' leaks.
I did the flashlight test and did not see any leaks that way.
Also...is it possible to remove the top so that I can put a new gasket around the damper door...? I can't seem to remove the damper door (upper, over the refractory), so removing the top would really open my view.

If it's like my Resolute, remove the upper fireback to replace the refractory box.
I can also remove my damper assembly by removing bolts that are accessed through the flue hole. They are out near the sides, but reachable.
Get the manual and illustrated parts list from VC website and it should be pretty easy...if none of the bolts break when removing.
On that note, apply anti-seize to the bolt threads when reassembling.

Tell me. Is your refractory box open inside or is there some channels like a mouse maze ?

Good to know. Mine is too. Someone here had a box that was more complex so I had been wondering if mine had puked out it's guts.
I'm going to try to make my own from 1/2" Kaowool board. I hope it'll stand up to the task and last at least a full season. I don't have the $225 to buy OEM.

Nice document. Thanks for the post redhat!

Wow, that is a lot of parts! Just so I understand, did the entire refractory chamber crumble ( part #3 in the exploded diagram )?

It seems VC /CFM is less than 15km from my place.

DeePee said:
Wow, that is a lot of parts! Just so I understand, did the entire refractory chamber crumble ( part #3 in the exploded diagram )?

It seems VC /CFM is less than 15km from my place.
Yep, all I did was try to move it and it crumbled...broke into pieces...the box and the access panel. No hope in saving any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.