Energy Logs in big wood stoves...BIG wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krissybelle

Dec 14, 2010
Oregon
Hello, I haven't been here in a couple of years, but sure appreciate the advice everyone gives. A couple of years ago we bought a Hearthstone Equinox, AND a Hearthstone Heritage, soapstone wood stoves. You might be wondering if we are trying to heat a football stadium or something. Nope, just a large timber frame home, 3 levels, plus a basement. When both stoves run at the same time, house is toasty warm. We usually only run the Equinox in the basement, but then the upstairs gets cold.

So....to get to the point. We burn mainly fir. But this time of year we run out of dry stuff. Next year I'm hoping to find seasoned Oak or Madrone. (Live in Oregon, need to go South for the madrone).

In looking for something to hold us through Feb and into March I came across the Energy Logs, specifically North Idaho.

Do these burn well in a wood stove, and would it even be worth it to try in larger stoves, especially the Equinox. It says the logs burn about 4 hours, heat about 8, glow about 10. Just two logs?? Seems unlikely. Just looking for any opinions, experience, etc.

Sorry so long Thanks!

They will work.
Start with 2 or 3 then work your way up to bigger loads.

They are an awesome fuel. I would start out with a fire of 4 in the Equinox as a trial. You may be able to go up to 6 but I agree with HotCoals, learn about them in increments starting out with a smaller fire first. Don't underestimate their potential heat. I think you will really like them.

See my review here for some pointers.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/Northern_Idaho_Energy_Logs/

PS: Madrona and oak take 2 years to season. Year old madrona will not heat well. Get some maple, doug fir and alder stacked right now for next season.

Right like begreen stated. Make sure the wood you buy gets the proper amount of drying time. It pays great dividends. Try to get a couple years ahead on your wood so you don't run out.

Status
Not open for further replies.