Eng 30 Tube Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
Okay as many know I can not run the blower on my stove cause it will shut the stove down. Last night and this mornings load of wood got weirder though. They both got the stove hot and going but the fire would go underneath the tube in the back and between the baffle board. Then the fire in the front would go completely under the tubes no fire is coming out of the holes now.This happens with air inlet all the way in.

I thought chimney might be an issue so I cleaned it this morning and got about a clear plastic cup full. I do not suspect an air leak as the temperature stay steady then gradually die down.

I am hoping mike can get back to me to see if I can return this stove that has a mind of his own.

Has anyone heard from Mike lately hope all is well at ESW.

Good hopefully he has news because now I am really lost as to why this stove is doing this the only thing I can think is draft it is colder outside only 5 degrees right now.

Hey Jags, how do you know if someone is online or not?

Hey Jags, how do you know if someone is online or not?
PFM - pure fricken magic.;lol

Click on the user name and it brings up a small snapshot of the user. Click on mine to the left to see.

Calling Mike to isle 3. @stoveguy2esw

Magic Indeed.;lol Getting back to topic do you know what is what with this thing?

Have you checked for proper baffle position? In past, it has been reported that the baffles can move around a bit, causing strange fire patterns.

Yeah I have them centered and pushed to the back as far as they go. I am actually in the habit now of always checking after every load so I dont waste heat up the chimney.

How much gap to you have between the baffle board? You say you have them centered but is there slop on the sides? Mine acted funky so I did what many others have done....stuck some steel rod into a rope gasket and used that to take up the gap.

And you don't need to have super secondaries do have a good fire. Proper flue temps + no smoke = clean burn.

What do you think is wrong? Is the stove burning wood and making heat? Is all the smoke going up the flue? Have you been staring at the fire too long?

Sure sounds like the baffle boards are too far forward ( or broken), they should be sitting on a lip past and above the fire brick at rear of stove ( not on the fire brick and try to keep the boards together down the center line. The boards only just extend beyond the first secondary tube ( maybe less than 1/2") Course if you have a straight flue and cleaned it without first removing baffle boards you may have broken them if you pushed the brush all the way down until free and then pulled back up. ( its been known to happen- helps to read manual and no, I still have the original set in mine)

I talked to mike about the issue he believes that I had caught an extra strong draft. This makes since because the high that night and in the morning were -8 then add wind chill! Plus it was windy but you guys are right as long as secondaries are going that is all that matters!

Reactions: Huntindog1
warm chimney , extremely cold temps outside , with his setup (flue though a single story addition on a 2 story house , when the wind is right it can take off. high delta and the right wind working in concert. the front tubes firing strong makes me think its flue related on the overactive side.

what I forgot to ask hemi in our conversation was how well was it heating when this was happening?

The thing was heating great 600 on stove 400 on flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.