England Stove 25PDVC help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy enough to install the outside air kit, I'd do it, it'll lessen any cold air getting pulled in through the cracks of the doors. At least you can use the old one for parts now.

I installed the fresh air supply and checked the control board. The readings were 6,4 and 1. The night before hooking up the fresh air supply I burned the 40 pound hopper of pellets in about eight hours. I changed the 6 to four and last night I got 14 hours of burn time. The only thing I noticed was a large amount of ash in the burn chamber. I read in another post someone using Brillo pad or something like that for the holes at or near the burn chamber. Anyone remember which post this was. I'm hoping to reduce the ash. I am burning Hamers premium pellets which I am told are the best for our area.

I installed the fresh air supply and checked the control board. The readings were 6,4 and 1. The night before hooking up the fresh air supply I burned the 40 pound hopper of pellets in about eight hours. I changed the 6 to four and last night I got 14 hours of burn time. The only thing I noticed was a large amount of ash in the burn chamber. I read in another post someone using Brillo pad or something like that for the holes at or near the burn chamber. Anyone remember which post this was. I'm hoping to reduce the ash. I am burning Hamers premium pellets which I am told are the best for our area.
The mod is easy. Just block off the 2 large hole under the burn plate . I used electrical box plank off plugs which just snap into the holes. Others have used steel wool but that needs to be replaced every so often. I even heard someone recently say they need magnets with good results. I also drilled out some of the burn plate holes slightly larger which also improved the ash. Also check the door glass and door seals they drove me crazy until I found that the glass was loose and leaking.

Blocking off the holes under the plate, will not give you more burn time...
It may help you get a hotter fire. But you will use the same amount of pellets...
Assuming you use the same heat/stove settings...

Dan

Agreed but I think he was looking for a better more efficient burn also. But you are correct about it will not make it burn longer.

Reactions: Hot Foot
I am looking for a better burn so that I don't have as much ash. If I was to use the Electrical Box plank off plugs would Lowe's carry these? If so what size would I need?
Yes lowes carries them but I forget what size. I believe there lik 3/4 or 1 " . Grab a couple of sizes there cheap. I got mine from Home Depot in the hardware section in one of the drawers of miscellaneous plugs and screws

I let the stove burn for 3 1/2 hours and probably burned 20 pound of pellets. I am going to try the settings of 4-4-1 as was suggested.

Just as a point of reference... I did some work in my shop this weekend,
needed some heat, so I touched the stove off for the first time this season...
1 hopper full....
lower settings 3-4-1
upper settings 1-3
22+ hrs.
Two under plate holes plugged... bottom of plate holes chamfered
On the high side, flame looked like your earlier picture.
On the low side, it looked like the picture here..

low_flame.jpg

Dan

Reactions: DrewBoogie
1 hopper full....
lower settings 3-4-1
upper settings 1-3
22+ hrs.

View attachment 187397

Dan
Pete when you said that you chamfered the burn plate holes , did that mean that you left the hole size the same and just beveled the bottom or tops of the holes out ?

1 hopper full....
lower settings 3-4-1
upper settings 1-3
22+ hrs.

View attachment 187397

Dan

Another point of reference, I have very similar burn stats, except I bounce between 4, 5 or 6 on my first bottom number for pellet feed rate. My burn time will be 18-22 hours depending on that feed number on heat setting 1.

Rick, are you still burning on heat setting 1? How warm is it in your shop when burning at that heat level?

Drew when I'm on 1 ( stove is in a basement) I can warm the area to around 70 degrees. For this time of year that heats my house on the next level to the low to mid 60's. as it gets colder I'll crank it up

Pete when you said that you chamfered the burn plate holes , did that mean that you left the hole size the same and just beveled the bottom or tops of the holes out ?
Yes.
Just smoothed out the sharp edge on the bottom side, with a 45° stone.........
Hole is the same size.....
Don't know if it really helps... but I do know it can't hurt...
and it's easy...
;)

Dan

Yes.
Just smoothed out the sharp edge on the bottom side, with a 45° stone.........
Hole is the same size.....
Don't know if it really helps... but I do know it can't hurt...
and it's easy...
;)

Dan
Maybe I'll try that . I have increased the size on mine and I know that definitely helped with moving air through the plate so if I chamfer the bottom of the holes maybe it will allow the air to flow easier through the plate?

blocking the holes stop air from coming into the sides of the burn area. This in turn pushes more air into the burn pot through the holes in the burn plate. I've noticed more ash blowing off the burn plate now, as well as my house is warmer on lower heat settings. I don't have any hard numbers, just anecdotal observations.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I also don't get a large pile of smoldering pellets, which someone termed lava burn since it looks like lava in the pot. My pellets burn significantly more completely now and less ash all around. Some of that is the pellets, but I plugged the holes last year and was burning the same pellets all season.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I also don't get a large pile of smoldering pellets, which someone termed lava burn since it looks like lava in the pot. My pellets burn significantly more completely now and less ash all around. Some of that is the pellets, but I plugged the holes last year and was burning the same pellets all season.
Are you using hardwood or soft. I tried soft this year and will not go back to hard. Better burn and cleaner burn pot

I'm using soft. I had Spruce Points last year that were $290 a ton and worth the money. I found Blazers for $260 this year and grabbed 3 ton. Both have burned with very little ash. I haven't burned any super premium hardwoods, so I can't comment on Hard vs soft, but I'm a firm believer that high end pellets make life much easier with the design of these stoves.

I say that because burning cheap pellets, I was scraping my burn pot 3-4 times a day and completely cleaning my stove 2-3 times a week as it filled with ash. With Spruce Points last year, I scraped the pot once or twice a day, and I could go 10-14 days without completely shutting down my stove to get all the ash out.

I also burn on C mode in the cold of winter, and can keep my 1000 sq ft 1950, not well insulated cape around 70 downstairs and 64 upstairs in 0 to negative degree temps.

I'm using soft. I had Spruce Points last year that were $290 a ton and worth the money. I found Blazers for $260 this year and grabbed 3 ton. Both have burned with very little ash. I haven't burned any super premium hardwoods, so I can't comment on Hard vs soft, but I'm a firm believer that high end pellets make life much easier with the design of these stoves.

I say that because burning cheap pellets, I was scraping my burn pot 3-4 times a day and completely cleaning my stove 2-3 times a week as it filled with ash. With Spruce Points last year, I scraped the pot once or twice a day, and I could go 10-14 days without completely shutting down my stove to get all the ash out.

I also burn on C mode in the cold of winter, and can keep my 1000 sq ft 1950, not well insulated cape around 70 downstairs and 64 upstairs in 0 to negative degree temps.
I agree with cheap pellets and cleaning. I picked up easy blaze 100% soft wood spruce pellets this year for 250.00 a ton and they have been great

Reactions: DrewBoogie
Status
Not open for further replies.