Englander 13NC Blower won't fit in fireplace HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
As the title states I got my Englander 13NC installed inside my fireplace but the depth just won't allow the blower to attach to the back. I do have the blower for the stove and it is sitting in a box. Any ideas or suggestions of how I could utilize it not attached to the stove? Could I screw it to the hearth or somewhere near the stove to help circulate air? Included is a pic of my setup. thanks for the help/suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0089R.jpg
    IMG_0089R.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 510
I have absolutely no advice! hope you get it worked out. maybe you could sell it or return it (not the 13, the blower) if it ends up being a no go!

(wonder if that is the same as for the older 12...)

If your good with sheetmetal you could make an adaptor. Turn down 90 deg. Maybe a shop could make it for you.

realstihl said:
If your good with sheetmetal you could make an adaptor. Turn down 90 deg. Maybe a shop could make it for you.

What exactly do you mean I can't picture it?!?!

I have the exact same setup as you do and didn't install the fan that came with my stove. I just put a table fan on the floor blowing mostly toward the gap on the right-hand side of the stove, then I get a warm stream of air coming out from the upper left-hand side. I think it's quiter than the stove-mounted fan would be, plus I don't like having an electrical cord coming out of the fireplace. When the standard table fan quits working in a few years the replacement will cost less than $20. A replacement for my stove-mounted fan is $126 at the local building supply store.

Battleaxe said:
I have the exact same setup as you do and didn't install the fan that came with my stove. I just put a table fan on the floor blowing mostly toward the gap on the right-hand side of the stove, then I get a warm stream of air coming out from the upper left-hand side. I think it's quiter than the stove-mounted fan would be, plus I don't like having an electrical cord coming out of the fireplace. When the standard table fan quits working in a few years the replacement will cost less than $20. A replacement for my stove-mounted fan is $126 at the local building supply store.

What size fan is it?

The fan I use is about 12" diameter round; just a normal adjustable speed table fan. I turn the oscillator off so it just blows constantly in the same direction to keep the air flowing around the stove. I'm directing the cold air from the floor to the stove to be heated. I also put another similar fan on the floor at the entrace to the room blowing cold air into the room with the stove. This fan works best if it is just outside the room with the stove and blowing directly into the room with the stove. You can feel the warm air current coming out of the room at the top of the room entrance. I set the fans on low if we're in the room and on medium if we're not.

usner21 said:
realstihl said:

What exactly do you mean I can't picture it?!?!

I really need a picture of how they mount to stove. If the exhuast shoots straight in that means the whole blower is on the backside of heatshield. A 90deg could reduce the amount blower protrudes from the back by shooting up into an adaptor.

Same set up no blower. Learn to use the fans. Just like Battleaxe said, don't pull warm air from the stove. Blow cold air to it and have it circulate. I have a fan about 20' away pulling air down the hall to circulate air (my house is 1 floor).

FireAnt said:
Same set up no blower. Learn to use the fans. Just like Battleaxe said, don't pull warm air from the stove. Blow cold air to it and have it circulate. I have a fan about 20' away pulling air down the hall to circulate air (my house is 1 floor).

I agree 100%. Fans move much more air and are quieter. I have used blowers in the past but now don't because of noise issues. Believe it or not - I have experimented with more than a dozen different setups. Some were axial fans some were blade fans. The noise is greatly amplified in an alcove setting. The table fan is much quieter, hands down. I'm not saying this is true for every setup but for me that's what worked. I'm kind of a sheetmetal guy and can build most any kind of stove blower housing.

realstihl said:
FireAnt said:

I agree 100%. Fans move much more air and are quieter. I have used blowers in the past but now don't because of noise issues. Believe it or not - I have experimented with more than a dozen different setups. Some were axial fans some were blade fans. The noise is greatly amplified in an alcove setting. The table fan is much quieter, hands down. I'm not saying this is true for every setup but for me that's what worked. I'm kind of a sheetmetal guy and can build most any kind of stove blower housing.

What do you mean by table fan?

Could you just bring out the stove a smidge from the hearth? allowing enough clearance for the blower? (This actually may help with heating even without a blower/fan)

daveswoodhauler said:
Could you just bring out the stove a smidge from the hearth? allowing enough clearance for the blower? (This actually may help with heating even without a blower/fan)

The issue is my liner can't come forward any further than it already is. The front of my damper is sloped inward to severely and limits how far out of the back of the firebox my damper can come.

usner21 said:
realstihl said:
FireAnt said:

What do you mean by table fan?

Just a fan that would normally be set on a table like this:

pehtr90406.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.