Englander 25-EP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acftmechus

Dec 7, 2014
NH
Hi all newbie here on this forum. I just installed an 25-EP. Replaced a 20 year old avalon PS 900.
I've been having a problem with the stove shutting down after a few hours operation. Doesn't matter what burn rate in fact I tried different settings. I checked and reduced bends for the fresh air tube. I did notice today that the hopper is hot and also the back plate above the exhaust flange is extremely hot to touch. I think too hot! Maybe the stove is shutting down due to this. Any advice or opinions?

Sorry no one got back to you ... Is it triggering the high limit switch? Those usually have to be manually reset ... but not positive what Englander uses.

What heat and blower rates are you using? I think folks have been upping blower rate at least a couple or three over heat rate. May not be pulling enough heat off the heat exchanger?

Thanks for the response. I realize now its the pellets. I stopped using a particular brand and the problem disappeared. Its a strange problem and nevere seen it before.
c4f4308ef2f9df3863ef913635e0981b.jpg

Were you running out of pellets as in the picture or ...? Pellets have a large difference in length from one brand to the other? Is that a restrictor plate I see in opening there?

It seems so. The brand pictured didn't slide down the sides of the hopper or fall down the middle. Strange. Never had this issue with my avalon. But starting using green supreme from NH and no issues so far.

I had bridging (pellets not falling in, creating a cavity over the auger) with one brand that were too long. Once I switched to another brand problem was solved. I also sanded the inside of the hopper with 220 grit then 400 grit sandpaper to smooth the metal. Now the hopper is shiny not black. The fines (dust) do not stick to the sides as in your picture as mine used to do. The sanding made a huge difference. The pellets now slide down the sides. That is a common complaint about this stove.

Ya my stove has the issue.. The sides are not steep enough so they don't fall down sometimes.. How do you like the green supremes? I'm running thoes now and really like them, even though everyone beats on them

IMG_20141204_221556278.jpg Solved! Buffing is a waste of time the left is sanded and buffed and the right is foil tape. Both sides are now taped and nothing sticks, I have increased my run time by 8 hrs!

Green supremes are great used them in my old Avalon. They are NH wood pellets made in Jaffrey. I used their product under a different name years ago.

Had the issue of bridging over the auger with Trebios - took me three times having the stove go out before I figured it out;lol It had a fairly full hopper and I poked around with a piece of doweling and watched them settle farther down in the hopper. Had to stir the pellets at least a couple times a day:confused:

Size of pellets was no different than other pellets used - difference was hardwood vs softwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.