Englander 25 epi not burning hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zakallen

Oct 18, 2013
Connecticut
Hello, I have an englander 25 pellet stove insert, and I do not feel that it is running correctly. I have a 1100 SQ Ft open floorplan, and on setting 9 with blower at 9, and 33Deg F outside, the stove is barely keeping the temp at 60 Deg F. I have tried cleaning, and I have tried different pellets(both purchased from Lowes in last 2 months). The stove was installed professionally, and they put in a liner - about 25FT 4" up the chimney, and they connected the outside air kit to go down the ash cleanout.

I am not experienced with these things, but I think I have an issue some where.

1. Other than the 60 degree temp inside, what makes you think the stove is not burning correctly? (lazy flame? going out on its own? etc.)
2. Describe your floor plan layout in more detail. (vaulted ceilings? insulation? age of home? type of windows?)
3. What are the brand names of the pellets you are using.

Lets start there and see if we can figure out what is going on here.

thanks for the reply mralias, I will try and describe it for you.

Answer to Question 1. The stove seemed to be giving more heat last week, in that when I stood in front of the blower(with the stove set to 5-5), and put my hand about 8-10 inches away, it was very uncomfortable to stay for more than a few seconds. now, i can hold my hand in front of the blower, and the air feels warm at best. kind of lazy flame, but this is my first year with it, so I am not sure what i should be looking for.

Answer to Question 2. My whole house is 1500 SQ Ft, I am not heating 300Sq Ft of it (a three season room, and a unused family room) so I am heating about 1200 Sq Ft.. The stove is in the living room, and there is a bedroom above the living room,(kind of like a loft, and the house does have a vaulted ceiling. I am not sure what the house has for insulation, but when I run my forced hot air furnace, the house gets and stays warm.

Answer to Question 3. I burned using Hearthwood Premium wood pellets from Lowes, and I just I found that the stove was not running hot, so I switched to the Green Supreme premium wood pellets from Lowes, and I am seeing the same warm air.

If you need more, please let me know. I was about to call Englander Support, but I figured I could start here first.

I saw in another post that you were trying to attach a thermostat to the unit. It seemed like you were abandoning that for now. Did you put the jumper back into the thermostat connector? If not, the stove will only run on a feed rate of 1, causing a much lower temperature. If you aren't using the stat, the jumper needs to be in place.

Good luck!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Well first I would do what Kofkorn suggested to see if that solves your heat output issue.

Second, the flame should be crisp and snappy looking with no black tails. Do a google search for pellet stove flame and look at the numerous videos out there showing the difference.

Third, a vaulted ceiling can be an issue when trying to get the floor area warm. Do you have a ceiling fan that can help push that warm air down? Windows, insulation and tightness of a home can have a significant impact on heat loss. Remember that your pellet stove is a space heater.

Fourth, I don't know anything about the Hearthwood pellet but the Green Supreme did not get very good reviews. Grab a bag or two of Green Team Supreme and see if you notice any difference. You could also invest in one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=infrared temp gun to compare various temp outputs. There are other devices as well.

kofkorn, Excellent call, I put the jumper back and turned it on to 9-9 and the house in 30 minutes went from 60 to 62, and I cannot put my hand in front of the vent...I will call this solved! thank you all for your help.

Reactions: mralias and kofkorn
Glad it was solved so easily. Great stoves. Great support. Excellent forum.

Yeah, I had only had this stove for a two months, and we love it so far.

That is a sharp looking stove. This is the second "new to me" stove that I've found on here tonight. I'm glad you found help here to solve your problem, and that your stove is once again putting out heat. If you don't mind, please post pictures of stove. :)

*Edit- got confused. Thought you were talking about the Englander 25-IP. The 25-IP is a very different, almost European design, so I was interested in seeing one installed.

Nevertheless, WE STILL WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR STOVE. :)

http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-ip.html

That is a really nice looking stove, mchasal! Congrats to both you and kenstogie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.