Englander 25-PDV blessings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gris

Nov 27, 2007
NEPA
www.trunzos.com
I've been using the forum for a while to learn what I could before my wife and I purchased a pellet stove for our home. Now that we got one, I was just hoping I made a good choice and to get the blessings of the experts on plan.

We kind if rushed into the actual purchase and ended up getting a Jan-07 mfged Englander 25-PDV locally off eBay. The thing is still palletized and was never hooked up, but we got it for basically 1/2 the Home Depot price. We knew we wanted a pellet stove, I knew that one was a decent option, so we jumped.

That being said, here's the setup. We have a LARGE house HERE. Basement is 1800sq ft. 1st floor is 1800 sq ft. Attic is converted into a 600ish sq ft master suite (another 300sq ft is part of a 2-story "library"). The entire house is r19 or better. The attic being r29 and the basement is pre-cast concrete with 2" styrofoam (r10) and r19 pink stuff. The house has electric heat in all rooms and no other heating options at this time. There is good circulation between the basement main floor and attic. We are currently in the process of finishing the attic and during the summer, a strong fan up there point out was enough to suck the cool air from the basement through the house and keep it cool.

The 25-PDV will be put in the basement as supplemental heat. I don't plan on heating the entire house with it, just getting the house to a constant temp where the electric won't have to work so hard and keeping the hardwood floors a bit warmer.

Has anyone done this and can anyone offer any advice as to what settings to use, what temp to aim for with just the stove, or if it will even work?
Will it even save money over pure electric?

Thanks for the info i've looked up in the past and any advice you can offer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.