Englander 25PDV burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRXL

Jan 7, 2013
Ontario,Canada
How often do other owners of this stove empty theres out? Once a day, every other day or.....
I shut mine down everyday, wait for the flame to go out and then pull out the small plate with air holes in it and dump what's on it in to a ash bucket. Does that sound about right or do others just let it overflow in to the lower section on its own? Then do a big clean up once a week or so? IMG-20121223-00163.jpg

My neighbor just quickly reaches in with a long curved (bent) screwdriver blade and pull the ash buildup out of the pot and close the door . He only shuts the stove off for a good burnpot cleaning and scoop out the ashes every other day and sometimes longer.

I'll shut the stove down once a day to just dump the burn pot, coinciding with a refill. I'll empty the ash areas maybe once a week, depending on how full they are.

Eric

Fifth season with my 25PDV, and I do not run it 24/7, usually from about 4-5pm to bedtime, but all day on Sat and Sun......so every day before I fire it up i dump the content of the burn plate into an as bucket, use a putty knife (about 1 1/14" blade) to scrape ash and unburnt pellets into the lower part of the burn pot, then use a modified soup spoon (ground to have a sqare corner) to clean the bottom of the burn pot out, then I srcrape any residual clinkers off of the burn plate with the putty knife, wipe the glass with a dry paper towel an fire it up!!! takes a total of less than 5 minutes. Every Saturday morning I'll do the vacuum thing, removing the impingement plate and getting the modified hose of the vac into all of the recesses and holes and such,,,,,, and that only takes about 15 minutes,,,,,,,, I love my stove,,,,,,

John

We run 1 stove, sometimes 2, nearly 24/7. Our cleaning is nearly identical to what Murphy118 describes, but includes clearing the carbon off that lower auger tube. I also clean the venting and use a leaf-blower on it after 1 or 1 1/2 tons have been burned....we love ours so much we have two..:)

Hello! Sorry but I'm new to this....
Well I've been battling the ash fight for two years now. I have an Englander 25-PVDC build on 09/2012.

The problem I'm having is with the build up of ash in the burn pot itself. Last year I burned Green Supreme hardwood pellets. Short burns were not bad. However, if I burned overnight the burn pot would be full of ash. The flame is violent and loud.

This year I went to a pellet dealer and was told I should be running softwood pellets. I burned 4 bags of Crabbe pellets and the ash in the burn pot was light and fluffy. Not hard like the Green Supreme! During that time I didn't have a long burn. Longest was about 6 hr. I liked what I saw and bought 2 tons.

I came home and my wife had our stove on and had been running for about 11 hr. I looked in and the burn pot was full of ash. I could see a nice red coal in the middle but it didn't seem to break up and allow the pellets to fall in. The flame was going into the auger hole.

I run this stove on setting 1 & 1! Anything over that I'll need to open windows! ;)

My question would be, how can I change the settings so less ash builds up in the burn pot??

Looking forward hearing from you experts

I rarely run it for extended hours, but when I do, I will occasionally remove some of the ash and dump it on the side of the burn pot.
Looks like tomorrow will be the coldest day so far this year, maybe I'll watch what happens closer.

Bill

I rarely run it for extended hours, but when I do, I will occasionally remove some of the ash and dump it on the side of the burn pot.
Looks like tomorrow will be the coldest day so far this year, maybe I'll watch what happens closer.

Bill

Okay. So it looks like its normal to have alot ash build up in the pot. I notice a big difference from the softwood to hardwood pellets. The hardwood would restrict air flow and cause a violent flame and the stove would make a loud helicopter noise. With the softwood it builds up but the flame doesn't whip around and the stove doesn't sound like it's going to take off.

Your ash issues are normal, helicopter sounds happen here too only on windy days.
I take a spatula and do a quick scoop out twice a day and toss the ash to the side " morning and bedtime" while stove is running, I do a shutdown 2 times a week and do a vacuum cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.