Englander 25pdv Lazy Flame, Pellet Build Up in Burn Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's definitely a Fasco, but Englander now ships P-Tech.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I got to thinking about something... is your door sooting up and if so how long does it take to turn Blackish? Also the 2 screws under the door lip they hold the burn pot secure against the firewall. Check those to see if they are tight, but do not crank them they should only be snug and then another half turn. There's a possibility that you may have a bad burn pot gasket. It happened to me and once it was replaced it changed my burn tremendously for the better!

I got to thinking about something... is your door sooting up and if so how long does it take to turn Blackish? Also the 2 screws under the door lip they hold the burn pot secure against the firewall. Check those to see if they are tight, but do not crank them they should only be snug and then another half turn. There's a possibility that you may have a bad burn pot gasket. It happened to me and once it was replaced it changed my burn tremendously for the better!

I checked that a a few weeks back, and they were tight. I gave them a 1/8 turn just to be sure. Tech said that people over tighten the burn pot gaskets all the time, and they should put a torque spec on it. Will grab a burn pot gasket with the combustion motor, I changed it last year, but hey, I might as well do it again.

Reactions: jjones139
Well here is what I have after running the stove at 6-9-1 on 2-2 as per tech support. I started the stove at around Noon. Ordered the new combustion motor thru Englander today, along with the correct glass supports, hopefully I get the new parts by the end of the week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk db29ff078b648bdab3f4f653a7e36ad4.jpg

Last edited:
Well here is what I have after running the stove at 6-9-1 on 2-2 as per tech support. I started the stove at around Noon. Ordered the new combustion motor thru Englander today, along with the correct glass supports, hopefully I get the new parts by the end of the week!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 189535
Yeah that's a problem! That blower can't get here fast enough!

That's over feeding BIG TIME...

I think I have my 2008 25-PDV dialed in now...this is my 8th heating season on original combustion and convection motors along with original door and glass gaskets. I purchased a new door gasket, but still passes the dollar bill test. It sits in my spare parts box for now.

Here are my settings...
bottom 3...2-4-1
C mode
Lacrete softwood pellets from Home Depot
1-7 is showing 225 degrees F on a digital wired meat thermometer inserted in the far left room heat tube.
26 hours per bag
Flame looks similar to yours..and door glass needs a little wipe around the hinge side glass 1/2" black soot every few days.

Burn pot has always needed attention every 8 hours...little scrape and spread pellets around on the burn plate. Bottom holes have been plugged with steel wool years ago and I don't remove the pot assy as I have used high temp RTV as the gasket.

Its all about the heat output rather than the look of the flame..gave up on trying to get it to burn like a blow torch years ago.

Interested in the NEW type combustion motor from ESW compared to the Fasco...Noise reduction would be GREAT..!!!

My experience with the stove...hope it helps.

Last edited:
That's over feeding BIG TIME...

I think have my 2008 25-PDV dialed in now...this is my 8th heating season on original combustion and convection motors along with original door and glass gaskets. I purchased a new door gasket, but still passes the dollar bill test. It sits in my spare parts box for now.

Here are my settings...
bottom 3...2-4-1
C mode
Lacrete softwood pellets from Home Depot
1-7 is showing 225 degrees F on a digital wired meat thermometer inserted in the far left room heat tube.
26 hours per bag
Flame looks similar to yours..and door glass needs a little wipe around the hinge side glass 1/2" black soot every few days.

Burn pot has always needed attention every 8 hours...little scrape and spread pellets around on the burn plate. Bottom holes have been plugged with steel wool years ago and I don't remove the pot assy as I have used high temp RTV as the gasket.

Its all about the heat output rather than the look of the flame..gave up on trying to get it to burn like a blow torch years ago.

Interested in the NEW type combustion motor from ESW compared to the Fasco...Noise reduction would be GREAT..!!!

My experience with the stove...hope it helps.

I agree. My Englander, although a different model, would go into meltdown mode if I set the LFF to 6. Bottom 3 are set to 4-7-1.

I agree. My Englander, although a different model, would go into meltdown mode if I set the LFF to 6. Bottom 3 are set to 4-7-1.

Here's a question, when you change the bottom three numbers (6-4-1) what does that effect? The tech said that only controls burn settings 1 thru 2, is that correct?

Here's a question, when you change the bottom three numbers (6-4-1) what does that effect? The tech said that only controls burn settings 1 thru 2, is that correct?
That is correct! Anything past 2 they are obsolete!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

That is correct! Anything past 2 it's obsolete!

So does the thing just run like a rampaged ape after that, lol.... I think I might modify my hopper, and add an adjustable plate for the auger opening. Tech said that was only on the newer stoves, and mine didn't have it. If I could see how they did it I could mock it up. This way when I am running up on 8-9 I can fine tune.

So does the thing just run like a rampaged ape after that, lol.... I think I might modify my hopper, and add an adjustable plate for the auger opening. Tech said that was only on the newer stoves, and mine didn't have it. If I could see how they did it I could mock it up. This way when I am running up on 8-9 I can fine tune.
Both of my hoppers are full so I can't get you a pic of my restrictor plates. Maybe someone else can help??

Here's a pic of the plate...approx 2x4" sheet metal with 1 screw through the slide slot. I have mine fully closed..leaves a 1" opening. http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/HopperImg.jpg

As to running the stove on heat setting 9...I haven't had the need to go above 4 on the coldest of days and the burn pot needs alot of attention as it will overflow as in your pics, but she really puts out the heat. Usually running in the 2-7 setting for this time of year.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the plate...approx 2x4" sheet metal with 1 screw through the slide slot. I have mine fully closed..leaves a 1" opening. http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/HopperImg.jpg

As to running the stove on heat setting 9...I haven't had the need to go above 4 on the coldest of days and the burn pot needs alot of attention as it will overflow as in your pics, but she really puts out the heat. Usually running in the 2-7 setting for this time of year.
Have either of you plugged the 2 larger holes under the burn plate? I did last season on both of my stoves and I have not had build up in the pot since.

Have either of you plugged the 2 larger holes under the burn plate? I did last season on both of my stoves and I have not had build up in the pot since.

Plugged those holes 3 years ago..that was the last time I removed the burn pot and is now RTV sealed. The burn pot is not the best design..you can do a search on modifications that people have done..I can live with the original design. I don't get a buildup of unburned pellets...just light fluffy ash.

This stove burns so much better on softwood pellets.

Plugged those holes 3 years ago..that was the last time I removed the burn pot and is now RTV sealed. The burn pot is not the best design..you can do a search on modifications that people have done..I can live with the original design. I don't get a buildup of unburned pellets...just light fluffy ash.

This stove burns so much better on softwood pellets.
I agree , my pdv also burns much much better on softwood pellets. I used to have a pile of lava every few hours and need to scoop out the burn pot 3-4 times a day. Now I just scoop a very small pile of light ash out once a day and absolutely no lave in the pot. Should have switched to softies a long time ago

Change those settings to 2-6-1 on heat 2-7...That 6-4-1 is a starting point and have to be fine tuned to pellet type and exhaust set up for your stove...give it a try for 4 hours and see what happens and go from there.

By the way....what pellets are you burning..?? Pick up a couple of bags of softwoods if available in your area.

Last edited:
I agree , my pdv also burns much much better on softwood pellets. I used to have a pile of lava every few hours and need to scoop out the burn pot 3-4 times a day. Now I just scoop a very small pile of light ash out once a day and absolutely no lave in the pot. Should have switched to softies a long time ago
Hmmmmm I never gave soft pellets a chance since many who burn Englander stoves seem to favor hardwood. Honestly, I don't know if I can get them in my area. Will have to check.... I too get the fluffy ash, but not lava pile!!

Hmmmmm I never gave soft pellets a chance since many who burn Englander stoves seem to favor hardwood. Honestly, I don't know if I can get them in my area. Will have to check.... I too get the fluffy ash, but not lava pile!!

I have to drive alittle farther but the payoff in daily matainence and more heat is definitely worth it. I will never go back to hardwood

This was directed at the original poster with the burn problems...but hey, if you haven't tried softies...give them a try, don't think you'll go back to hardwoods.

Reactions: jjones139
Do we have any updates?

Do we have any updates?

Updates.... more like disappointments!

So I got the new combustion motor installed and turned the stove on at 3:30pm, and this is what I got running it on 7-7 only 3hrs later! Englander said it was probably my combustion motor, guess not, what now? I'm more than frustrated.....

59968c9615e7c2c8299f982f04607082.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got the new combustion motor installed and turned the stove on at 3:30pm, and this is what I got running it on 7-7 only 3hrs later! Englander said it was probably my combustion motor, guess not, what now? I'm more than frustrated.....

View attachment 189734

Dam..... What brand pellets are you burning?

Dam..... What brand pellets are you burning?

The only adjustment that really worked for me was blocking the two holes under the burnpot with Hillman plugs.. I also closed the restrictor plate. I never get a lava pile up anymore. Check out the "Steel Wool Mod" thread for more info. My bottom three numbers are 6-4-1. I can burn pretty much any pellets with good results.

The only adjustment that really worked for me was blocking the two holes under the burnpot with Hillman plugs.. I also closed the restrictor plate. I never get a lava pile up anymore. Check out the "Steel Wool Mod" thread for more info. My bottom three numbers are 6-4-1. I can burn pretty much any pellets with good results.

I've been burning the Big Box Stores stuff, I have some Greenies, and Stove Chow. Both have never given me a burn issue. They pellets are stored inside my barn, nice and dry. Im going to have to fab up a restrictor plate for my hopper, but I don't want to rule out other issues, like a control board failure feeding too many pellets, or Auger motor issues?

Is the restrictor plate held on with a wing nut? Trying to determine from the pic.

I have the steel wool stuffed into the larges both right and left under the burn pot, and that was before I ran the stove tonight.

I've been burning the Big Box Stores stuff, I have some Greenies, and Stove Chow. Both have never given me a burn issue. They pellets are stored inside my barn, nice and dry. Im going to have to fab up a restrictor plate for my hopper, but I don't want to rule out other issues, like a control board failure feeding too many pellets, or Auger motor issues?

Is the restrictor plate held on with a wing nut? Trying to determine from the pic.

I have the steel wool stuffed into the larges both right and left under the burn pot, and that was before I ran the stove tonight.[/QUOTE The plate is held in place with a screw.

Attachments

• hopper2__product.jpg
    hopper2__product.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 238

View attachment 189734

We're trying to help you out here Bud...

what pellets are you burning

plug the 2 burn pot holes under the burn plate with steel wool

fab up a hopper slide plate and close off the throat some

how does the stove burn on setting 6-4-1 on heat 2-7

how does the stove burn on setting 2-4-1 on heat 2-7