1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Englander 25PDV owners I need help with ash pot!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by JohnRXL, Jan 17, 2013.

1. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    I've had this stove now for a few months and called customers service about what I considered a dirty burn, the had me cut back on the feed rate from 6 to 3. Which is fine I now have more control of the heat and a 40lbs of pellets lasts longer, but my burn pot is still overflowing with coarse looking ash within about 8hrs of running on heat setting 2-3. Does the amount of ash in the pics look right? I have nothing to compare them to.
    IMG-20121223-00159.jpg IMG-20121223-00160.jpg IMG-20121223-00161.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Some pellets create more ash than others. What kind of pellets are you burning?
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

It does look somewhat coarse, but the bottom line is.......does it seem to be heating correctly? Also, if I read your post correctly, your bottom 3 buttons are now at 3-4-1? If so, try turning the LBA up to 5, and maybe eventually to 6....see if that clears the "dirty" burn up.

I don't need to ask how many bags of pellets have gone through the unit since it had a complete cleaning (or from when it was new), do I? It was new, or a factory refurb, right?
  4. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    Premium 60/40 hardwood softwood pellets w/ 1% ash.
  5. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    John, If I were to offer you a nickel for every bag of wood pellets that you could find that does not say either "premium" or "low ash" somewhere on the bag, you still would not accrue enough money to buy this pack of sugarless gum that I saw on sale at the gas station this morning. They all say it. My point being that some brands will have less ash and some have more ash. What is the brand name of the pellets that you have?
  6. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    You are correct on the lower buttons.
    That pics was one bag after a complete clean, and the unit was brand new when I bought it.
  7. imacman

imacman Guest

Try the higher LBA settings I mentioned......and please give us the NAME of the pellets you're burning.
  8. L.I. Pellet Guy

L.I. Pellet Guy New Member

Loc:
    Wrong Island
    i'm no expert but that looks like alot of ash for a 8 hr burn. Have you cleaned the ash pot below the wear plate. To me, and i'm no expert by far, it looks like a lack of air flow throw the plate. I get a good amount towards the end of week of burning, and i give it a good emptying and it's good to go.

One thing i've learned from this site is, a clean stove is a happy stove!

I'm sure the experts will chime in shortly.
  9. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    The brand is "Canadian Bio Fuel" I bought a skid of it right from the manufacteur.
  10. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Hmmm....never heard of it. Do yourself a favor and try different stuff, two bags at a clip, and see if you can land something that will create less ash.
  11. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    Canadian Bio Fuel
  12. imacman

imacman Guest

As CT Pellet says, you should give some other brands a try. 3-4 bags of each should tell you whether it's the stove or the pellets.
  13. CladMaster

CladMaster Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Looking at those pictures it seems that you do not have enough air coming in to burn the fuel. Make sure your OAK is connected correctly if you have one fitted. Also make sure you don't have any leaks on the venting.

When you have it set on 2 or 1 for the heat range, change the LFF to 4 or 5 and the LBA to 5 or 6 and the blower speed on any number from 2 - 5.
  14. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    looks pretty much the same as mine but with that said...mine is due for the LBT this weekend
  15. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    Looks pretty much normal to me for a pdv, I scoop mine every 12 hours.
  16. rexrules

rexrules New Member

Doesn't look too bad to me. Maybe a tiny bit darker than my 25pdvc, but pretty close.
  17. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    I'm going to get a few other brands this weekend and try them out.
    The OAK is not rescricted at all but I will be checking for leaks around the door and hopper lid.

well thats a little relief, at least someone elses stoves are doing the same thing but I will be giving it a good thorough clean tomorrow along with checking for leaks.
  18. imacman

imacman Guest

Did you try raising the LBA a couple of numbers as a few of us suggested? 3-5-1 or 3-6-1
  19. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    Yes i did, its is now 3-5-1 and i will change it to 3-6-1 later if i need to.
    I just started it an hour ago so I'll no better first thing in the morning aroud 4:30am
  20. imacman

imacman Guest

OK, let us know if that helped any.
  21. TLHinCanada

TLHinCanada Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Canada
    A quick look at there web site will tell you that your problem is probably the pellets. Grass and waste paper products may burn in a commercial unit but I don't think anyone has had much luck here with them.
  22. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    Well if I took and pasted the 3 pics from my OP that is what my burn pot look like this morning. Ill change the setting to 3-6-1 and see how that works, I still need to try other pellets also.
  23. JohnRXL

JohnRXL New Member

Loc:
    Ontario,Canada
    That sucks! I wish I had known before buying a ton of them. Guess I better do some shopping and figure out where else to get good pellets from.
    I have TSC, rona, home depot, and Lowes to choose from. Any suggestions on who or what to look for?

I ve got 40 bags of pellets left, wanna buy them? LOL.
  24. imacman

imacman Guest

That is EXACTLY why we always suggest to try 3-4 bags before you commit to a large quantity.

As for those places near you, just get on the phone, ask them what brands they have in stock, and what their per bag and per ton prices are....post them here and we can give you a pretty good idea what brands to TEST BURN, which ones are too much $$, etc.
  25. CladMaster

CladMaster Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I'm burning these in mine.

greeneteamplat.jpg
    These I get from Lowes $5.38 per bag

maineschoice.jpg
    These I get from Lowes $4.78 or so per bag

naturesheat.jpg
    These I get from Walmart $5.00 per bag