Englander 25PDVC/55 SHP10 Fan noise/whistle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rad3110

Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2007
Long Island NY
I purchased two of the above listed stoves at the end of last year. I place one in my basement it works great. The one i installed on my main floor works great but the room fan speed makes noise on settings 2,3,4,6,7,8 kind of like a Harmonic distubance a wistleing noise. On fan speed 1,5,9 no operational noise. I contacted Englander and spoke with Mike Holton, he was gracious enough to replace the room fan, unfortunately it is still doing the same thing. The stove is still under warranty and it is disturbing because I dont only want to use those three fan speeds. Mike was a little stumped by this issue. Winter ran into spring and now that fall is upon us im dealing with the same issue. I welcome any and all suggestions Englander is a fine company with great customer service buts lets get real, I cannot be the 1st person to experience this issue. I should have just returned this one but it was too big and bulky and at the time i was too lazy. I welcome any and all suggestions.Help!!!!! [email protected]

Have you checked your incoming voltage?

Was there anything in the air path from the blower mount to the front of the stove that can act as a reed, Something like a piece of sheet metal?

Also is the blower mount secure, is the blower gasketed, and fastened securely to the mount?

Whistles can be very annoying and air flow systems can easily produce them if anything interferes with the air flow.

I have not checked the voltage. Iam capable of doing so and have a voltmeter but if it is doing the same thing with two different fans wouldn't it be comming from the keypad that regulates the voltage? I will take the motor off again an look for obstructions maybe I missed something, I doubt it. Im tempted to call Englander and ask for a new key pad but if you can tell me how to check the voltage I would be greatful.

Put your V meter on AC volts (~ symbol) and stick the leads into your outlet, you should have anywhere between 105 and 125 volts 105 is pretty low and 125 is pretty high -just FYI

Have you remove the new one and tried to run st8 current to it, cause that make no sense to me. I can understand why Mike Holton was stumped! If if does the same on st8 current which it is going to run wide open but once it starts up the noise should be apparent. Not just on certain numbers on the control panel...Other wise check the voltage on the room air blower going from # to # and see if there is a drop in voltage at any time in which it make that noise. Does it screach or squill or is it just whisling. Make sure it is sucurely tighten down to the stove before you try any of this. Possible the gasket is not sealing off...Thanks

I can asure the motor is on securely and the gasket installed properly. Im not sure what you mean by st8. The sound is more of a whistle type sound( a harmonic disturbance), very annoying. I have a few months under warranty. As I rteviously said I have two of these stoves manufactured within days of each other. The one in my basement works great. My main floor one has the whistle, I would love to resolve the problem. You out there Mike H. This is year two.

rad said:
I can asure the motor is on securely and the gasket installed properly. Im not sure what you mean by st8. The sound is more of a whistle type sound( a harmonic disturbance), very annoying. I have a few months under warranty. As I rteviously said I have two of these stoves manufactured within days of each other. The one in my basement works great. My main floor one has the whistle, I would love to resolve the problem. You out there Mike H. This is year two.
i think he means plugging STRAIGHT into the outlet , after removal so to determine if the motor is making the whistle sound itself which might void the warranty?

Just to eliminate this, did you try covering the airwash inlet holes underneath the front lip of the unit to see if the whistling goes away? I know on mine during start-up and shut down when there wasn't a flame it would make a whistling sound. I needed to dab a small amount of silicone on either side of the holes on mine to re-direct the airflow to make this stop.

rad said:

My suggestion is beings I'm getting cut at the throat by someone else who doesn't deserve a stove, I would call Mike back and tell him that It did not solve the issue at hand and just explain it to him. Mike is a good guy and would help anyone. This is what he does. I do know him personally and can vouch for his work ethics. Superier!! The holes in the front could create a wistling noise but not to the extremiety that your having, and I'd never advise plugging them. If there was ever a smoke-back where is the smoke going to escape from if they are plugged.. Give Mike a call or E-mail him! I do understand this situation is gettin aggravating but if the room-air blower is under warranty than you have to go through diagnostics an the whole thang for the rep to determine the issue. I'd just get with Mike since he has worked with you before. If you need me I'll be glad to help as well.
Thanks and Good Luck

Fix it Guy said:
rad said:

My suggestion is beings I'm getting cut at the throat by someone else who doesn't deserve a stove, I would call Mike back and tell him that It did not solve the issue at hand and just explain it to him. Mike is a good guy and would help anyone. This is what he does. I do know him personally and can vouch for his work ethics. Superier!! The holes in the front could create a wistling noise but not to the extremiety that your having, and I'd never advise plugging them. If there was ever a smoke-back where is the smoke going to escape from if they are plugged.. Give Mike a call or E-mail him! I do understand this situation is gettin aggravating but if the room-air blower is under warranty than you have to go through diagnostics an the whole thang for the rep to determine the issue. I'd just get with Mike since he has worked with you before. If you need me I'll be glad to help as well.
Thanks and Good Luck

FYI...I did not plug them...I did what Mike told me to do and dab some silicone one either side of the holes to re-direct the airflow into the holes....He said this was a know thing on some of these stoves.....please re-read my post.......

Fix it Guy said:
rad said:

Thanks and Good Luck
me cutting ur throat & dont deserve my stove?

Hey rad,

Some stoves have issues when plugged into GFI outlets. I found this out with a breckwell that made a harmonic sound when the blowers were on high. Just FYI.

Edit: One other thing you could try is swapping the control panels from the know good stove to the noisey one. This would rule out the control if the noise stay with the upstairs stove.

I thought about changing boards but I dont have a scematic and if I mess something up in the transfer ill violate the warranty. I ran it with and without a GFI all the private e-mails I get say its the controll board.

i have the same issue with my stove. its an englander 55-shpepl (lowes version). i bought the stove last year. i have had 4 blowers in one year and englander keeps telling me there is no know issue. i have read other posts about this noise.

each new blower doesnt make a peep. after a few weeks (depending on use) its starts in with the "harmonic ringing" sometimes sounds like crickets. my first blower i believe was really bad and made a high pitch metal on metal grinding noise. my currently installed blower made that noise 2 times for less than 20 seconds each time. mine doesnt make it on setting 4 but 5 and up it does. usually 5 and 6 is the worst. i used to run my blower on high speed to circulate the air but now only use 5 and 6 really. never higher than 6 anymore.

my stove is currently making this noise and englander is hard to get ahold of this time of year. i was out of warrenty in october but this problem has never been resolved for me. i have an email into englander and have not heard back in over a week. i have asked them to inspect a blower they called back and was never contacted about it.

i foudn out last nite that if i sit on the front of my stove when its making the noise the noise seems to completly stop? i wondering if its some sort of harmonics casued by the way the air moves through the stove at certain speeds/stove temps?

either way i feel your pain because its really an annoying sound and hopfuly if enuff people have this issue a fix can be made.

Im on my third blower motor and I have the same stove as you from lowes. My stove continues to do the same exact thing as you describe at all the same speeds I previously listed. I purchased two of these stoves from lowes one is completely fine. That of course is the one I put in my basement and rarely use. I also agree with you that it must be the way the air moves through the stove, an unfinished piece of metal or something causing a whistle. Englander has been very responsive in the past and thier lead tech guy reads this forum. Hopefully we will get his wheels spinning. Im sorry for your problems but glad to know im not crazy. Im sure we are not alone

rad said:
Im on my third blower motor and I have the same stove as you from lowes. My stove continues to do the same exact thing as you describe at all the same speeds I previously listed. I purchased two of these stoves from lowes one is completely fine. That of course is the one I put in my basement and rarely use. I also agree with you that it must be the way the air moves through the stove, an unfinished piece of metal or something causing a whistle. Englander has been very responsive in the past and thier lead tech guy reads this forum. Hopefully we will get his wheels spinning. Im sorry for your problems but glad to know im not crazy. Im sure we are not alone

here is a link to another guy on this forum with the same exact stove and problem from last winter sometime.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/52054

as far as i know englander has not found any issues?

englander tech support has been helpful when they are on the phone... i dont want to sound like im bashing them at all... just want my noise gone for good.

perhaps its an issue with Fasco the company that produces their blower motors. When i looked at one of the old motor I could see a screw sticking out were the motor attaches to the cowling. perhaps this screw is causing the problem. It will be several days before I get to test this theory and doubt it is the cause but am willing to remove all possible causes. Pick an old motor you replaced and take a look at the self tapping metal screw im talking about. It could easily be cut back and still remain secure.

you mean the screws that hold the air inlet on... i think last year i completely took that off with no luck. i also put on doubble the gasket between the blower and the stove with no luck.... it also seems the noise gets louder and more consistante the more i use it.

i was wondering if a differ blower was installed like the larger 1500 rpm if the noise would be gone?

ive also noticed air blows out the bottom of the stove under the ash tray (not from around the tray but the body of the unit) the welds are not all the way across under there. if i block it with my hand there is no change in noise tho. i was just home on lunch and the stove was making the noise... put it on setting 6 blower speed and it was quite the whole time i was home... its confusting how random it is.

that what i was always thinking... englander told me multipal times that they dont have problems with these blowers... i called them in october to ask them what they found out about the blower i sent back months ago... they said they didnt hear of any issue with it... he told me he would check with the tech dept or whoever and get back to me. i was never called back.... i would hope they have contacted fasco to check if there are any know problems....

if there is a different brand blower to use i woudl be up for that... maby even something with a little more cfm's to it... but again the stove has never been fixed really its the same problem over and over again and i dont want to go doing things myself with out the company involved in it.

not that i want to go this rout at all but would our stoves be lemons?... 4 blowers in one year and the same issue still.... the main reason for the stove was to save me money on oil but i cant be buying blowers that often out of warrenty.... again i just want it fixed and will be happy as a clam but it seems to be a very baffeling situation.

Perhaps we got lemons. But it a mechanical problem and has to have a fix. Mike H from Englander please chime in when you see this. As prevoiusly stated I have two of these units. Ones great and the othere has the harmonic sound disturbance. We would welcome any input or if anyone else is experiencing this let us know on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.