Englander 30 chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trapper89

Oct 13, 2016
pennsylvania
Before I buy an Englander 30 does anyone run theirs with an 8" chimney. I seen it recommends 6" but I have a 20' block chimney 8". Would rather not pit a liner in but will if I have to. Think its something to worry about? Thanks in advance

Is it an interior or exterior chimney? If I had to guess I would say it would work either way. However, an insulated liner will probably avoid some frustrations.

Cold starts will be quicker, avoids smoke spillage, cleaner chimney, better overall stove performance, etc...

You can always put a liner in later.

I run a 5.5".

I suppose it doesn't cost anything to try it. It'll be slower to start, but may work fine. How tall is the chimney?

Is the stove going in a basement?

I copied this off an article on woodstove.com

"Picture water flowing in a stream. When the stream bed is
narrow, the water flows quickly. If the stream bed
becomes wider, the water slows down. The same thing
happens to smoke as it flows through a chimney. An over-
sized flue allows the smoke to slow down and condense
inside the chimney - resulting in water, creosote, and slug-
gish draft."

Reactions: bholler
While this is true, I've run smaller stoves through 8" Terra cotta. It's not ideal, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. Be forewarned, it's harder to get the fire going.

I have also and had hard starts, smoke spillage, and creosote. It does work but it sucks.

I run a 5.5".

I suppose it doesn't cost anything to try it. It'll be slower to start, but may work fine. How tall is the chimney?

Does the 5.5" work fine? And how long is yours? I might try this route with the NC30.

You don't have to line the chimney unless the chimney is broken or was never built right.

As far as size, this is from the NC30 manual:

The area of the chimney liner must also be equal to or greater than the area of the flue collar on the stove. If the area
of the flue is greater than the collar, it should never be more than two and 1/2 (2.5) times greater.

So your 8" chimney if round provides about 50 square inches, if square provides 64. The flue collar is 28 square inches. 28 *2.5 is 70 so per the requirements, your 8" chimney is satisfactory.

Lining the chimney won't hurt and insulating the liner will be even better but neither is required by default. Also, you can install now and line later if desired based on performance.

I run mine off an 8 inch flue with no problems. Didn't have time or cash to do the liner this year.

You don't have to line the chimney unless the chimney is broken or was never built right.
well said. I would still recommend a professional inspection to ensure neither of those things are true but you are totally correct there. We still have lots of customers running through clay chimneys with modern stoves and many of them work very well. Some do not but as long as your chimney is in good shape and there are no clearance issues there is no reason not to try it.

Does the 5.5" work fine? And how long is yours? I might try this route with the NC30.

Its 25 feet. It works fine. I've got a really strong draft though. I believe Brother Bart runs a similar setup. I wish that stove ran straight up. My 30 goes out the basement wall, then up.

Status
Not open for further replies.