1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Englander 30 Overfire?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by fran35, Jan 4, 2012.

1. SmokeyCity

SmokeyCity Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Pa

and mine works great with a 40+ ft chimney with a 10x10 square flue :=) (once it's warmed up that is)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You will have to keep the door cracked because draft will be crap. Just kick it as hard as it will go. You ain't gonna hurt it. This isn't some piece of Brazilian rock or recycled cast iron.

American steel. Fire that sucker.
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  3. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    You sayin' just start the first fire and get'r to 650?
  4. greythorn3

greythorn3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alaska
    had my stove pupe glowing red, noticed it when i shut the light off, inside the double wall stove pipe slots i could see red where it was a right after a 45 deg turn.. wonder if the stainless double wall is thinner, cause i aint never seen the single wall pipe glow, not even in the dark, a and the stove pipe temp gauge only read 550f but it was a foot or 2 higher then the glowing part.

heres some stuff i found online on glowing colors for stianless

C___F_______Color
    400 752 Red heat, visible in the dark
    474 885 Red heat, visible in the twilight
    525 975 Red heat, visible in the daylight
    581 1077 Red heat, visible in the sunlight
    700 1292 Dark red
    800 1472 Dull cherry-red
    900 1652 Cherry-red
    1000 1832 Bright cherry-red
    1100 2012 Orange-red “{*}
  5. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    I did not baby my 30 when I broke it in...
  6. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    You will probably be doing good to get to 500 or so outside with a short pipe.
  7. Agent

Agent Member

Loc:
    Gillette, WY
    Ditto - I went from full fire in old stove to full fire in Englander in about 8 hours. It's only stopped a handful of times since then - and only because it's too darn hot outside!
  8. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Exactly ! Draft directly affects stove temps. Warm day, cool chimney(weak draft) i struggle to get to 500 .Cold day, hot chimney(strong draft) it goes right to 700 and above.
  9. jcims

jcims Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    I know this thread is old as the hills, but I just wanted to thank you BrotherBart for this suggestion. I've got ~30' of pipe that works like a hoover when the NC30 is running hot. I was trying to think of a way to put a control on that inlet, it never occurred to me to just cover part of it permanently. Will be giving this a try today...
  10. tjcole50

tjcole50 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ohio
    Is this something that should be done before putting this hog 1/2 way into my fireplace? I'm running over 25 ft 6" liner. Secondary is the giant hole at the back bottom of the stove right?
  11. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Don't fix a problem you don't have. Burn in the stove like it comes off the pallet and then adjust if needed later.
    begreen likes this.
  12. jcims

jcims Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    I'd have to agree with this 100%. I actually came back to say thanks again...it's amazing how much different the personality of the stove is with that little chunk o' tape on there. I centered the strip with about 50% coverage and it has been like a sedative for my previously hyperactive incinerator. Right from the get go, the stove takes a little more to get started, temps ramp more slowly, stay a bit lower, don't move around as much, etc. It's been fantastic.(!)

That said, i could see how this could easily calm the stove too much...so I'd have to say it's much better to really get to know your stove first and then start making (small, incremental) changes. Even if you have to get the hog back out of the fireplace to do it. :)