Englander 30 Rear Clearance Confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kryp2nite26

Feb 6, 2014
Central Illinois
Getting ready to install an Englander 30 in my living room and am a little confused when it comes to my rear clearances to combustibles. I plan on making my wall protection out of 1/2" Durock mounted on the back wall with ceramic tile covering it. There will be a 1" air gap between the Durock and the drywall behind it. The diagram in the manual regarding the minimum clearance behind the stove is a bit confusing to me. What is the minimum distance i can have this stove from my wall protection? I will be using double wall stove pipe to connect the stove to the ceiling support box.

The distance for double-wall and full stove shielding (sides and rear), with an NFPA 211 wall shield is 5". Be sure to have an air gap at the bottom and top of the wall shield so that it easily convects air behind it.

Will you be adding a blower? It needs at least 7" to accommodate the space for a blower.

Actually a bit less. The distance is measured to the nearest combustible which in this case would be the wall behind the wall shield, assuming no blower on the stove.

If I may add to the OP's question, as I've often wondered this myself.... Is the minimum clearance from to the combustible from the back of the stove or the back of the fan?

My inspector wanted it from the fan because its "part of the stove". My argument was that the fan made things cooler, not hotter, and was more or less isolated from the cast iron stove.

He disagreed so I took the fan off and installed it at its minimum clearance. The back of the stove is warm to the touch. IMO it could be even less clearance. Somehow the fan made it back on there at some point...

The manual states that the hearth must extend 8 inches behind the stove. How is this possible if I wanted to mount the stove 5 inches from the back wall? Also for my floor protection it states a 1 inch thick cement board or equivelant. Can I double layer 2 half inch sheets of Durock for this? And does it need to be 1 inch thick for the wall protection also?

If I may add to the OP's question, as I've often wondered this myself.... Is the minimum clearance from to the combustible from the back of the stove or the back of the fan?

My inspector wanted it from the fan because its "part of the stove". My argument was that the fan made things cooler, not hotter, and was more or less isolated from the cast iron stove.

He disagreed so I took the fan off and installed it at its minimum clearance. The back of the stove is warm to the touch. IMO it could be even less clearance. Somehow the fan made it back on there at some point...

Well your inspecter is most likely wrong as they most often are. The manual will show a diagram of the clearances. All that I've seen take this measurement from either the flue collar, the back of the stove, or the top edge of stove. The top of the stove often has an overhang and the measurement is taken from there. Show him this diagram in the manual.

Not at my computer right now but I think you need r=1.0 for the 30. Durock NexGen is r=.78/inch. The wall thickness doesn't matter. It can be sheet metal. 1/2" cement board with toe will be fine.

So would I need more than 1 inch thick Durock? Would covering standard half inch Durock with ceramic tile give me the required r value I need? Appreciate all the help guys.

Be sure to have an air gap at the bottom and top of the wall shield so that it easily convects air behind it.

In California, the air gap must be on the top and the bottom. 1 inch tall and traverse 1/3 of the total run. So if your fire wall is 6 feet wide, there must be a 1 inch air gap running horizontally a total of 2 feet along the top and bottom of the fire wall. You can break that up into two air gaps 1 foot in length starting at 1 foot from one side, then a 2 foot run of no air gap, then a 1 foot run of gap, followed by a 1 foot run of no gap. This is an example suggestion only - for purposes of clarity.

So would I need more than 1 inch thick Durock? Would covering standard half inch Durock with ceramic tile give me the required r value I need? Appreciate all the help guys.
I would use 3 layers of durock for the hearth. You don't need to meet an r value rating for the wall shield. It just has to be built of non-combustible material.

Actually, the hearth requirement on the 30 is 1.5......unless it's been changed recently.
From the manual:
"The protection must have an
R-value of 1.5 (English units) or equivalent (See
“Installation on a Combustible Floor”). This stove
requires a minimum 39.0” x 52.5” floor protection."

Thanks Papa Dave. I am mobile right now and wasn't sure. That is 4 layers of Durock then.

Durock NexGen is quite light and the weight will be spread out over several sq ft.. Should be ok.

How do you normally provide a one inch air gap at the bottom of the wall protection? Do you hold the hearth (floor protection) away from the wall protector? Anyone have a diagram of a hearth design i can reference?

4 layers of 1/2 inch Durock covered in ceramic tile plus a 450 poundish stove? I hope my floor joists ate their Wheaties this morning!!!
All that will weigh almost as much as your loaded side by side fridge. Or you and a few buddies standing around drinkin beer. Seriously, no worries!

Reactions: kryp2nite26
How do you normally provide a one inch air gap at the bottom of the wall protection? Do you hold the hearth (floor protection) away from the wall protector? Anyone have a diagram of a hearth design i can reference?

It doesn't have to be 1" exactly, 1.5" will be fine. Put a 2x4 on the hearth and set the cement board upon it. Anchor the cement board on the wall then pull out the 2x4. Hint, you can cut 3" x 3' strips off the Durock sheet and double them up to make 1" spacer strips on the studs.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Regarding the distance required for the hearth pad in front of the stove... The manual states it must be 16 inches from the door for the purposes of cleaning and loading wood. Is this specific clearance absolutely necessary for safety or more for a convienence? The stove manual states 8 inches on the sides so my question is can I make the hearth stick out less than 16 inches in front and still be fire safe? I don't have a carpeted floor if that matters at all. Thanks again everyone.

The 16 is for safety. Required.

Definitely not a place to scrimp. The front of the stove is where the action is. It's 18" in Canada.

Last edited:

rear and side measurements unless specifically stated otherwise by the manufacturer are taken from the firebox. the blower does not matter in this measurement. youre inspector was incorrect as the fan is not part of the firebox.

rear and side measurements unless specifically stated otherwise by the manufacturer are taken from the firebox. the blower does not matter in this measurement. youre inspector was incorrect as the fan is not part of the firebox.

Thank you....and this is intuitive in my opinion. On the matter of side clearances....when the side heat shields are used, is the clearance from the heat shield or the firebox?

Status
Not open for further replies.