englander 30nc vs us stove magnolia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lethal dose

Jan 10, 2011
eastern ohio
just pulled the trigger on the englander for $980 shipped but when i was out and about today, i found the us stove for $599 on closeout. i figure it'll be around $700 after taxes. is the nc30 worth the $300 premium? the magnolia has a 3.2 cf firebox (i think... manual says 3.2 pi cubed???) and the nc30 is 3.5. any thoughts on either stove? i gotta cancel that order by tomorrow a.m. if i'm going to at all. what kind of burn times are you guys getting on the magnolia?

You won't be disappointed by the 30.

Is the magnolia the same stoves they sell at TSC? If it is, I think I've looked at the one you're thinking of. In my opinion the Englander is a better stove.

-SF

my only concern is the ash pan. is it a big PITA or does it work well? i read good and bad.

ash pans are seriously over-rated.

Your probably not going to find someone who has experience with both but your find people here who has one or the other. I have the mag in service right now. Soon you'll have someone come on that has the Englander . The Mag is pretty good overall. Very sturdy design, secondaries work fabulous, glass stays clean all the time. Will hold coals till the cows come home.Thats the pros. Cons are primary needs to shut down further and the biggy for me, made in China. Englander is made in USA. I've treated mine real hard for the last 6wks consistantly burning it with needle buried at 850+. Fit and finish are as good as the day I fired it up. Almost forgot, forget the ash pan. If you burn any at all I don't see how one could possibly use it. Its nothing but a little decoration for me.

Ok on the ash pan. I'm really thinking the price premium is worth knowing it's made stateside. How do the firebox dimensions differ? Also, I noticed the magnolia's firebrick only went up about half way and the manual says to not load it up past the brick. Maybe that too is a non issue.

lethal dose said:
Ok on the ash pan. I'm really thinking the price premium is worth knowing it's made stateside. How do the firebox dimensions differ? Also, I noticed the magnolia's firebrick only went up about half way and the manual says to not load it up past the brick. Maybe that too is a non issue.
Yeh I know the manual says that but I violate it daily and have seen no adverse effects from it. Don't know why it would say that but if you couldn't load above the brick in less than a day you would be out of space for wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.