Englander 55SHP22 - Blower working but not strong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbadoo

Oct 30, 2008
Newbury
I have an Englander 55 SHP22 that I picked up used. It is two years old, works fine but even on a blower speed of nine with a heat setting of nine and waiting for fifteen to twenty minutes there is hardly any air coming out of it. I did the online trouble shooting suggestion and hooked the blower fan wires to the top auger connections to verify functionality and the fan worked. I just don't know how strong this should be. The stove will not stay lit on a setting of one either, two is the lowest to get continuous flame, irregular as far as height, but continuous. The auger seems to put a little in for a bunch of turns and then for two or three it dumps them in like it is on seven or eight. Any Suggestions to help me nail down the problem would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the input, Title changed, I will give ESW a call, and try to find the sensor on the schematic, I remember I looked for that once but could not find it. I know I could light a lighter at that distance. The numbers on the hopper lid are 06-04.

There are three buttons on the bottom of the control board, and you'll need to adjust 2 of them to get a good burn on low. The buttons you're interested in are the Low Fuel Feed and the Low Burn Air. The LFF controls how much fuel is fed into the burn pot when the stove is on settings 1 and 2, and the LBA controls how much combustion air is fed into the burnpot when the stove is on settings 1 and 2. The higher the LFF the more pellets get fed, the higher the LBA the more air gets fed.

The third button Air On Temp should be at 1, and left there.

As for the room air blower, this blower is controlled by a temp sensor I believe, and it will not start if the temp sensor doesn't see enough heat in the burn chamber.

I hope this helps.

You might try burning a different brand of pellets. Try out several. I have a similar issue with my stove and have found that the pellets can make a huge difference in feed regularity and heat output.

Dana, definitely check out the website. Do you know what year your stove is? I believe the date should be on the inside of the hopper lid. With that info. the tech's at ESW should be able to tell you what the factory settings for your stove are.

If you are used to the fan on a woodstove the air coming out of this stove might seem weaker by comparison but what you are describing doesn't sound right. My stove is on a blower speed of 3 at the moment and I just checked it with a bic lighter. I can't light the lighter in front of the vent because the fan is strong enough to blow it out. If yours won't do something similar I'd advise you to stop trying to burn the stove until you've gotten the problem figured out. If the blower isn't working you could easily overheat the stove and do permanent damage to it.

Just a thought....do you have the outside air kit, OAK, hooked up? You might want to check it to make sure that there isn't an obstruction of some kind that's preventing the stove from getting enough air.

You also might want to edit the title of this thread to include the model of stove. Mike, from Englander, posts here but he's not apt to read this unless he knows the problem involves an Englander.

Status
Not open for further replies.