englander at home depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvo

Jun 17, 2008
vt
home depots in my area has englander 25 that says 1500btus,and another that says 2200. are these a newer model or old style? has anyone got any feddback. the 1500 btu is 1299.00

those are not BTU's they are square footage rating for maximum coverage the model 25-pdvc (1500 sq ft model)is rated at 8500 to 38000 btu, the 25-pdv (2200 sq ft model) is rated at 10700 to 43000 btu

these models are the ones we have been building and continue to build , the new 25-ep is not quite in the stores yet.

sorry i didnt mean btus i did mean sqaure feet. do you feel theses are good stoves. looking at these ,napoleon np40,us stove,and big e. best bang for the buck?,but want a good product also.help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since mike works at Englander, he probably thinks they are good stoves - or at least the paycheck clears every week and the health insurance remains in effect.....

Hopefully you have checked out some of our other threads on choosing a stove. The first think to consider with a pellet stove is whether you need service or installation from a pro. If you are 100% DIY in terms of installation and repair/troubleshooting, then you have the option of buying from HD, Lowes, Ace or from many "mail order" or internet retailers. However, you will be on your own to fix - there will be no technicians dispatched from the factory to your house - even for major repairs. This is important to understand up front.

So usually folks make that decision and then either look for something from a local dealer (if service and installation needed or desired) or decide they can handle the install themselves and don't care if the salesman knows anything, etc.

We know from experience that Englander does a pretty good job of providing email and phone support. As to the other brands, you have to check that out - how will support be provided? Some companies are not set up to talk to the end user and provide support only through dealers.

As far as $$, I don't think you are going to find many pellet stoves down around the $1299 for the Englander.....as Mike says "built for the working man". Of course, it is not the same as a $4,000 Harman....but the payback will be much quicker.

ok , here's my opinion , heck yeah they are good stoves, if they werent we'd be outta buisness by now ( ok all jokes aside) thanks for the plug web , by the way...

ok , here's how i see it , we comapre quite well with the brands our poster mentioned. specifically he mentioned the big-e , i like that stove , from what ive read its a good overall unit breckwell in my opinion is likely the best quality competitor we have i feel we are every bit as good as they are. its close enough that the look of the unit would probably be the deciding factor, what are you looking for? the others mentioned , sure they are good products as well. but in the price range we share , my second choice (behind what i build obviously) that would be my choice.

looked at englander stoves today.is there an ashpan and automatic igniter?. were at home depot up on shelf and couldnt get a good look, couldnt find anyone to answer my questions there?

jsvo said:
looked at englander stoves today.is there an ashpan and automatic igniter?. were at home depot up on shelf and couldnt get a good look, couldnt find anyone to answer my questions there?

No ash pan but there are areas on each side of the burn pot for ash collection. They have an ignitor. You put in the pellets, push the on button and let it do its thing.

You can look at the manuals for the stoves at:

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals.html#englander

The little one is the 25-PDVC and the big one is the 25-PDV.

Too bad you guys don't make an ash pan in those. Of all the bells and whistles I could care less about an ash pan is one of those things I would not want to live without. Nothing hard about it just put a couple drop slots under those pockets and some place that it can fall into. Not that I would pay another thousand US Pesos for one though............... but it is a nice feature.

thanks for reply.with igniter it makes it more attractive to buy.also thought box said 24000 btu. isnt that low to heat 1500sf?

I went to two home depots and one lowes in my area (Just outside Denver, Colorado) and none of them stock any pellet stoves during the summer.

I wish they did. I am going to be doing my own install and maintenance and it appears the factory gives great support over the internet/phone.

Driz said:
Too bad you guys don't make an ash pan in those. Of all the bells and whistles I could care less about an ash pan is one of those things I would not want to live without. Nothing hard about it just put a couple drop slots under those pockets and some place that it can fall into. Not that I would pay another thousand US Pesos for one though............... but it is a nice feature.

some of our units have ash pans , some dont , depends on the model, 25-pdv, pdvc pi, do not , 10cdv, cpm , and 25-puf , as well as the new ep and epi (when they get em in the stores) do have ash pans

I have an 25-pdvc that hasn't seen all that much use (I'm actually going to sell it). Overall it has been a good stove and 100% reliable. My only two complaints are the lack of ash pan and that it doesn't burn cleanly at the lowest output settings.

The lack of an ash pan is a PITA (IMO). Unless you have a ash vac, getting the ash out of the collection areas creates dust in the air (very fine dust at that) and is a bit of a hassle to fish it out.

Also, as I mentioned, the unit doesn't burn cleanly at low outputs. This might not be a big deal if you'll never use the first couple of output settings (1&2;), but if you do, expect to have cleanliness issues. The glass will turn black, clinkers will develop quickly, and it will be very obvious the unit isn't burning with good efficiency at the lowest settings. The folks at Englander can give you some settings to enter which might improve this slightly, but the unit clearly doesn't like to run on low. Once you kick it up to medium burn or more (3+), she burns very nicely.

You also have to be okay with repairing everything yourself should something break. Like I said, mine has never missed a beat, but if something does go wrong, the tech guys at Englander are very good about walking you through a repair and getting the parts to you.

Overall, these stoves are a very good value, but you have to accept the short comings I mentioned.

Wet1 said:
I have an 25-pdvc that hasn't seen all that much use (I'm actually going to sell it). Overall it has been a good stove and 100% reliable. My only two complaints are the lack of ash pan and that it doesn't burn cleanly at the lowest output settings.

Also, as I mentioned, the unit doesn't burn cleanly at low outputs. This might not be a big deal if you'll never use the first couple of output settings (1&2;), but if you do, expect to have cleanliness issues. The glass will turn black, clinkers will develop quickly, and it will be very obvious the unit isn't burning with good efficiency at the lowest settings. The folks at Englander can give you some settings to enter which might improve this slightly, but the unit clearly doesn't like to run on low. Once you kick it up to medium burn or more (3+), she burns very nicely.

You also have to be okay with repairing everything yourself should something break. Like I said, mine has never missed a beat, but if something does go wrong, the tech guys at Englander are very good about walking you through a repair and getting the parts to you.

Overall, these stoves are a very good value, but you have to accept the short comings I mentioned.

i could help you dial that right out, the stoves are optimized for a "medium" depending on whats happening adjustments made with a few pushed buttons can optimize the low burn without disturbuing the cleaner burning higher settins , which arent so sensitive as the lower ones. let me know if you want to work on it with me , be glad to help

stoveguy2esw said:
Wet1 said:

i could help you dial that right out, the stoves are optimized for a "medium" depending on whats happening adjustments made with a few pushed buttons can optimize the low burn without disturbuing the cleaner burning higher settins , which arent so sensitive as the lower ones. let me know if you want to work on it with me , be glad to help

Thanks Mike, but I've already contacted your guys about this a while ago, the improvements were only slight. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.