Englander Evolution 25-EP Install w/Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
I just purchased a new Englander Evolution 25-EP that I will be installing this summer. I will update with pictures as I progress with the install. I will be doing most of it myself.

First.. I'm still working to find a good location that will work well with my house and of course the venting.

The plan for now....not real excited about looking at a pipe sticking out the front of my house but I don't see any other option??

The stove is going in a corner and will be vented horizontally w/ about a 3-4’ rise. I have put some pictures here to help. The vent will be going through the wall to the left, hopefully about 6-8†from the corner.

The pipe will come out about 3’ from a window and sort of under my porch a little. I know it says in the manual that I need to be 4’ from a window but I have also read that if I have a OAK that is reduced to 18â€. Is that correct?

My plan is to use Selkirk Direct-Temp pipe that has the vent made into the outer pipe wall.

Suggestion welcome...

Thanks..

4fa02667.gif

13ee16c3.gif

6f9b53f6.gif

c1745756.gif

EDIT: Stove just showed up!
421161ec.gif

make sure the vent is at least 24" below the vinyl soffit.

i tried to give you a ring , message on answering machine, dropped you an e mail as well. the 24 inches to the soffit is a great point as well, sorry i missed that in my e mail. gimme a yell tomorrow if ya can during the day , cell number is in the e mail i sent ya

GrahamInVa said:
........ I was out testing my stove when you called. Everything works good. :)

Burt off that new paint smell too.

And so, the addiction begins...... ;-)

imacman said:
GrahamInVa said:
........ I was out testing my stove when you called. Everything works good. :)

Burt off that new paint smell too.

And so, the addiction begins...... ;-)

Yea really.... I'm in love with my pellet grill. The taste difference is quite impressive and the wood burring smells so good. Mmmm...

Very Nice Looking stove. I love a Good Looking Englander. Having Mike to help you along is gonna be a tremendous amount of help. That EP is supposed to be a Killer stove.

The vent on the front will grow on you and the high pipe inside looks classy (I think so).. I don't have any recent photos. My vent comes directly out the front of my home (Direct vent). I have a pic from a while back. (Pre-OAK). I was really nervous about "Sparks" (Funny Thread about another Forum member on that) coming out the pipe. I did this 3 yrs ago. I have decided to leave the landscaping edgers. Have since mortared them together and made it permanent, and also took the front 12x6 paver down (Looked terrible). But like I said. I had not found this Forum yet and didn't know better. Abided by all clearance to combustibles. One pic is up-close, the other is pretty far back and the exhaust is kinda right behind the tree (Look above the small tree in the Island) in the pic. House is couple hundred feet off the road. So unless you knew what a PL Vent looked like. Most think its a Dryer vent when they come over.

Very nice home you have, that stove should do a great job of heating it. How many Sq Ft is your home? I think you are gonna be shocked at the money this stove saves you. Also putting it in the room where you spend most of your time is a great idea and its kinda centered in your home (better heating throughout the house that way).. Cant wait to see it hooked up and running. Looking forward to your comments on how well she works this coming winter.

Attachments

• Vent on front of house.jpg
    Vent on front of house.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,064
  • PL Vent on front of house.jpg
    PL Vent on front of house.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,158
DexterDay said:
Very Nice Looking stove. I love a Good Looking Englander. Having Mike to help you along is gonna be a tremendous amount of help. That EP is supposed to be a Killer stove.

The vent on the front will grow on you and the high pipe inside looks classy (I think so).. I don't have any recent photos. My vent comes directly out the front of my home (Direct vent). I have a pic from a while back. (Pre-OAK). I was really nervous about "Sparks" (Funny Thread about another Forum member on that) coming out the pipe. I did this 3 yrs ago. I have decided to leave the landscaping edgers. Have since mortared them together and made it permanent, and also took the front 12x6 paver down (Looked terrible). But like I said. I had not found this Forum yet and didn't know better. Abided by all clearance to combustibles. One pic is up-close, the other is pretty far back and the exhaust is kinda right behind the tree (Look above the small tree in the Island) in the pic. House is couple hundred feet off the road. So unless you knew what a PL Vent looked like. Most think its a Dryer vent when they come over.

Very nice home you have, that stove should do a great job of heating it. How many Sq Ft is your home? I think you are gonna be shocked at the money this stove saves you. Also putting it in the room where you spend most of your time is a great idea and its kinda centered in your home (better heating throughout the house that way).. Cant wait to see it hooked up and running. Looking forward to your comments on how well she works this coming winter.

Yes, Mike was helpful and I'm sure I'll be calling him again. I don't think a horizontal termination on the front of the house is going to work. I can't get the 4' needed from a window. Mike had some good suggestions and got my wheels turning on some others. I need to climb in the attic and measure some more....

My house is 2400 sq ft, so I think the stove should do quite well. Its not as cold here as many of your northerners have to contend with either. Last year I spend over 2k in propane and my elec bill was running 400 easy a month. This was my first winter in this house, so that was kind of a shock. I will also enjoy the fire burning in the evenings.

I have been looking around for a good deal on 3 tons of pellets and have only come up with Big Heat and O'Malleys. Both have a plant about 30 minutes from me. I didn't check with the local southern states, probably should do that.

From reading the o'malleys don't seem too bad. They want $200/ton. The Big Heats are $197/ton. But i haven't heard any good things about big heats.

I apologize, I didnt mean you should go with a direct vent. I was just saying that a vent, coming out the front of your home (No matter the hieght), does not look as bad as some think. If done correctly, most visitors will not know what it is. We too spent a lot in LP ($4,000 a yr). I have never heard of Big Heats before. So I have no comment there. I have heard of "Easy Heats". A new plant that just came on-line here in Ohio. Being from Virginia, you could probably get some Lignetics. They are a Good pellet.

My Quadrafire is all we used for the 1st 3 yrs. 2,180 sq ft Ranch. (Just got the Pellet Furnace and Wood-stove near the end of this season). Never use anything other than its lowest setting, unless its around 0-10 degrees outside, then she gets kicked to Med for a bit. We used about 4 tons a year average with just that stove. This next year we will have the Wood-stove and the Furnace (Which I may sell now? See how well this wood thing works out?)

Until you actually fire the stove and run in for a year, you will not truely know what it likes and what it dis-likes. My first 2.5 yrs of burning I had no idea about this site. I envy all that find before you start to burn. The hints, tips, and tricks to stove burning, cleaning, and maintenance, is Awesome. I love it and I am still coming here all the time. (My 1st year here, give me a little break).

Anyways, I apologize if you thought I meant direct vent. Englander states to put at least a 3 ft rise in the Vent. I did 5 ft rise in my shop. Its not the prettiest, but she heats like a Beast. Nothing like a 15 yr old stove. Excuse the Spray Paint on the walls. Messy...

Attachments

• Ye Old Englander.jpg
    Ye Old Englander.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,991
I did some more measuring this weekend and found a way to get the pipe out the roof. It will cost a little more but will make for a cleaner look in my situation. I found a good deal on the Selkirk direct temp stuff. Looks nice and I don't need to run a separate OAK.

I'll post some pics as I make progress.

smwilliamson said:
Prevailing wind??? I do not like that installation location at all.

Yea, I don't like it either. It wont meet code anyhow. I am doing a vertical termination.

DSC08614-1.jpg

Very nice.. Will give it some good Draft also.. Much better burn. IMO. I'm excited to see that beast running... Lots of new stoves going in this summer....

Nice looking Marker Stove ....

Looking good. Guessing that after you go through the wall, that you will go up through the ceiling. Is that some sort of utility/laundry room? That's gonna be a clean looking install, like that and you should have Great Draft. Very Nice.

DexterDay said:
Looking good. Guessing that after you go through the wall, that you will go up through the ceiling. Is that some sort of utility/laundry room? That's gonna be a clean looking install, like that and you should have Great Draft. Very Nice.

Yes, going strait up after it goes through the wall. That room is currenty our office. I am going to a build a "chase" around the pipe with a little door to get access to the cleanout. I am also going to build some shelves so it doesn't look so goofy.

Very Nice Graham. Looks like she is ready (Or almost/Is it through the roof?). Surge Protector.. Check! Thermostat.. Check!! Stove and some Bad A$$ Selkirk Venting.... Double Check!!.

Bravo. Looks Great. Cant wait to hear your reviews on that stove. I am sure there are a few others that are as anxious as I (And yourself too). Oh, and I am WAY Jealous of the Selkirk. I have never used it, but the theory behind it should eliminate all the caking issues with ashes that a standard "Cold Air" Kit would give you (In the shoulder seasons/humidity). Preheating your combustion air is gonna be a great thing. Along with all that Vertical Flue, and most of it being inside (Too keep it HOT) , will also eliminate the flue gases getting cold and condensing into C_______!

DexterDay said:
Very Nice Graham. Looks like she is ready (Or almost/Is it through the roof?). Surge Protector.. Check! Thermostat.. Check!! Stove and some Bad A$$ Selkirk Venting.... Double Check!!.

Bravo. Looks Great. Cant wait to hear your reviews on that stove. I am sure there are a few others that are as anxious as I (And yourself too). Oh, and I am WAY Jealous of the Selkirk. I have never used it, but the theory behind it should eliminate all the caking issues with ashes that a standard "Cold Air" Kit would give you (In the shoulder seasons/humidity). Preheating your combustion air is gonna be a great thing. Along with all that Vertical Flue, and most of it being inside (Too keep it HOT) , will also eliminate the flue gases getting cold and condensing into C_______!

Yep, almost ready to go through the roof. My dad is coming over this weekend to lend me a hand cutting up the roof. Should be fun, especially since the roof pitch is 12/12 !!!

Nothing fun about a 45* angle (Roof). Or Punching a hole in your new home. But I am sure you are going to love tinkering with the stove and the reduction in your heating costs. Should be a good reduction in usage (hopefully 100% like many of us here) As smoke show stated. Very well thought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.