Englander Hopper Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Panhadler,

Would it be possible to get a few more views of the hopper, maybe a side, top, back, inside the hopper? It just helps to get have as many views as possible to try and duplicate it.

Thanks

My son went back to college with his camera phone, mine doesn't have a camera, and I'm sorry for the quality of the photo. I'll have to ask Santa for a digital camera. It's a really simple thing. It's just a box with 1" flanges inside the top and bottom of the box. I will give the dimensions, but it would be better to measure your own stove. The one pictured is 21.5" L x 9.5"W X14"H. I measured the outside dimensions of the flange under the lid. That should be the outside dimensions of the box. I just winged it on the height. I figured if it was too high, the weight of the pellets might compress the lower ones and cause feeding problems.This one holds about 95-100 lbs. I will stress that the bottom must be square in order to fit the two bottom flanges together in a good seal (with orange high temp RTV). If you lived close, I'd make you one. The metal and gasket material were free, as it was all scraps. I just had to pay for the RTV and a can of Rust-oleum Grill Paint which matches my stove. I made one for a guy 40 miles away. All seams must be sealed with the RTV. I'll help in any way as I have found it to be very helpful when away from the house since both my sons are away at school. No worrying about it running out.

You did a nice job on your extension, and I appreciate your willingness to help out. This project won't get underway until the spring since it's not in anyway urgent. Luckily I have 4 people here to help keep the hopper full.

I will get some more photos, just might be awhile. Tho there isn't much room to get beside it to take pics. It really is much simpler than you might think. The one thing that kept bugging me about the stove was the hopper stove. Heck, if you had an artist in the family they could paint a picture on the front. I think everyone who has one should have a nice Steeler emblem on it. :)

LOL...Not to sure about the Steeler emblem, maybe a nice Red Sox emblem!!!

I'm sure between my brother and I we can figure out how to build a hopper extension. It's just easier when you have an existing plan that works.

I really like the idea as we know the stove hopper alone will only hold 40 lbs. This is my first year with my pellet stove so haven't got a good sense yet as to how long 40 lbs. will last in my stove and if it fits into my schedule. I would hate to wake up to or come home to a cold house. Leave around 8am and home by 5:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.