Englander JC-24 Newbie HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Theatlas103

Oct 23, 2021
Connecticut
Purchased a home this year built in the late 90s and assuming this stove was installed when the house was built. I'm planning on using it soon but after looking at it a little more, I'm not sure I know how to operate this thing. I grew up with a simple stove with a side door to load the wood, and a little hand tool the controls the flue and a door below for a removeable ash tray. As I'm now finding out, this thing is a little more complicated. It has a cat which I know nothing about. Upon further inspection of my stove, I noticed the plate above is bent and the fastening hardware is in poor condition. Should i be concerned with this? I don't want to mess with anything yet so asking here first. My second question is how are these things cleaned if there is nothing catching the ash? Read through the manual and it wasn't too much help, so looking for expert help. Sorry I'm a noob at this go easy on me lol. Just trying not to burn my house down.!

AB3A2B74-BE0A-4D74-BD9A-016E22CEDA73.jpeg

According to the manual the revision date is 1/06. There should be a plate somewhere showing manufacturing date.

You probably want a certified chimney sweep to inspect the chimney/flu to start.
Some more photos of the stove interior would help. The door gasket looks OK but you will want to check it for tightness with a dollar bill. A photo of the cat out of the stove would help. The previous owner could have been doing regular maintenance but I'm assuming that is unknown right now.

Last edited:
Some threads:

How dry is your firewood?

According to the manual the revision date is 1/06. There should be a plate somewhere showing manufacturing date.

You probably want a certified chimney sweep to inspect the chimney/flu to start.
Some more photos of the stove interior would help. The door gasket looks OK but you will want to check it for tightness with a dollar bill. A photo of the cat out of the stove would help. The previous owner could have been doing regular maintenance but I'm assuming that is unknown right now.
I'm planning on having a chimney sweep come out next weekend. MFG date is 11/96 so thats a year before house was built. There's another stove in the basement which is the style I'm used to and I think the previous owner used that one way more. I will get more pics.

I have good seasoned wood stored, why?

Also,What is the proper way of cleaning the inside of these? I will