Englander NC-30 vs 28-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itzjerm

Mar 2, 2010
North Alabama
I've been reading all the post on the pros and cons of the Englander NC-30 and 28-3500. I grew up using an old ashley wood stove in the basement. In fact my dad still uses it every winter (its now been 30 years he has used it). I am used to knocking the ashes down into the ash tray in the morning and building the fire on the remaining coals. Also I am used to the ashley having a dampner controlled by a metal coil.

It seems neither of these models have the automatic dampener, should I not view this an issue?

On ash removal, it seems the 28-3500 could be cleaned the way I am used to, however, how would you clean the NC-30. Do you just shovel this out from the front every morning?

Finally my house is 2000 sqft upstairs, 1650 sqft unfinished basement, with 350 finished room in the basement. Winters are not harsh here (North Alabama), but they are cold. I only have a heat pump right now.

The stove will be in the basement. Do you recomend going with the stove (NC-30) or wood furnace (28-3500)

Will there be a big difference in wood use between these two? I know the NC-30 is considered efficient by the governement.

I appreciate any and all help, trying to get a unit in while stoves are on sale, so I'll be ready for next winter.

If using the ash pan is important to you then don't get the 30. It is much easier to shovel the ashes out than to mess with the ash plug and the pan. Of course I feel all ash pans are useless but then others... My last stove had a huge ash pan and a grate and still I let it fill up and never touched it again for twenty years after messing with it the first year.

I own the 28-3500. It burns quite clean and quite efficiently if you ask me. One huge question you need to ask is, do you want even heat distributed throughout the house. If so, then get the furnace and hook it into your existing furnace plenum to be piped into the house (added recommendation is to hook to cold air return). If just a space heater, then go with the NC-30 stove. With the stove, you are going to get real hot in the basement, and then the upstairs will warm up ...eventually via convection depending on where your stairs is in relation to your stove.

As for the manual dampener... it just takes some getting used to. I usually start it wide open when the chimney is getting warmed up (to 5-600 deg) then, dampen down at about 20-30 min. in 2 stages to between half and 1/3 open and leave it. It burns well that way. Can't speak to the NC-30, just that I've heard it puts out the heat. Hope that helps some.

You speak of even heat distribution. However, how loud is the fan on the stove? And how much does it cost to run? Our house growing up just had the stove in the basement, my room was right next to the stove, the whole house was warmed very well. Why would you want to leave ashes in with the fire? Does this not make it harder to get the fire burning again?

thanks

Jeremy

itzjerm said:
You speak of even heat distribution. However, how loud is the fan on the stove? And how much does it cost to run? Our house growing up just had the stove in the basement, my room was right next to the stove, the whole house was warmed very well. Why would you want to leave ashes in with the fire? Does this not make it harder to get the fire burning again?

thanks

Jeremy

No.

itzjerm said:

thanks

Jeremy

I assume you mean the fan on the furnace. The sound is probably equal to a furnace fan, perhaps a little louder because it's not mounted to rubber as a furnace fan is. It's really not that loud, but would be if it were in the middle of a room that is used (i.e. family room watching TV etc.) It uses approx 300 watts when running, so however that translates into your price/KW.

If your house is setup for convection and you don't mind the basement being quite a bit warmer than the upstairs, hands down I'd go with the stove. My house is similar to yours, but the stairs is on the wrong end of the house. I also have little ones who WILL touch a burning hot stove, so I opted for the furnace.

Ashes insulate the coals and keep them hot longer without burning them up. No, it's just a matter of moving them around to get the fire started again.

You bring up a good point about kids burning themselves. How hot does the outside of the 28-3500 get? Also, can you run the 28-3500 without the fan, and dump the heat into the basement, therefore operating it similar to a regular stove?

I agree with freeburn and regarding wood volume, I have been burning upwards of 7 cords to heat 2800 sf to an average of 73 degrees, would use a lot less wood if I was feeding it rather than my wife during the day. My room is on second floor directly above the furnace location in the basement and I can just hear a slight hum of the fan motor, I use that to let me know at nite if I need to toss in some wood.
The outside of the furnace does not get hot at all, however I bet the glass door does but that I have yet to touch while a fire rages.

itzjerm said:
You bring up a good point about kids burning themselves. How hot does the outside of the 28-3500 get? Also, can you run the 28-3500 without the fan, and dump the heat into the basement, therefore operating it similar to a regular stove?

As mentioned, the only thing that gets hot on the 28-3500 is the glass, and the top portion of the front that is on the other side of the flame/firebox. It doesn't get cooled by the fan, so it makes sense that it would just radiate heat. When the fan is running (I've never tried it without), you can put your hand on the top of the furnace where all the heat pools anyway and it is just warm, not even hot, the sides are mildly warm if that, but it still cranks the heat out.

I believe you can to the dump heat with this too by just not hooking it up to your ductwork. I've heard of guys doing that, perhaps even removing the top all together might work too. But then there is the asthetics of it though, kind of hokey looking if you ask me. Mine is hidden behind a door in my furnace room so no one sees it. That might not be an option for you though.

I too listen for the fan to tell me when to add more wood. A good reminder of temp without the fancy electronics or more things to go wrong. Simple and sure.

Congrats. Here's yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 575
Status
Not open for further replies.