Englander Stoves Ash removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petejung

Sep 28, 2007
Not trying to pick on Englander stoves with this post, but that's the brand I'm considering purchasing. I realize other brands have the same setup as Englander...

What's turning me off Englander type stoves, is the method of ash removal. I like the Harman's and other like them that have an ash pan that you pull out, rather than having to scoop out the ashes like with the Englander stoves.

Just looking for feedback from stove owners on this issue.

Thanks!

I could swear the Englander I looked at had an ash pan.

I prefer an ash dump system myself, I would not own a stove without one. Some people like to scoop, have ash pans and never use them. Ash pan owners who are scoopers probably have a poorly designed system, there seems to be few people that actually like there ash pans.

Here's a filmloop done by roospike showing a very easy, clean system. Every morning after a long burn ash in the front gets dumped, coals get pulled forward, no fuss, no muss.

http://www.filmloop.com/cgi-bin/bv/.../BwhZTKqKJkmn4Tw4Lsq3R&flash=1&extAds=1&px=FL

stoveguy2esw said:
which model are you referring to? most of our units have ash pans

I don't recall the model number. They were both at the local Home Depot in Lebanon, Ohio. One was a wood pellet stove only, the other was the multi-fuel. Both of them did not have ash pans, and the instructions inside the top lid of the display showed somebody with big heavy gloves on, scooping out the ash. I want to say one of the models was a 25pdvc or something like that.

SenorFrogg - Thank you for those websites.

I don't think, though, that that product would help in removing ash from these pellet stoves, as the ash pit is recessed down inside the frame of the stove, and the opening is too small. About the only thing you can do is buy one of those vacuums that are advertised, or remove the ash by handfuls or with a garden spade... I could be wrong, I have no experience with these... And I don't want to unnecessaro;y influence anyone negatively from anyone's product, especially if it was through my lack of knowledge.

Lowe's sells the Summers Heat 55-SHP240L (Englander 25-PUF) for $1,499 which is only about $150 more than the little Englander 25-PDVC at Home Depot and it is has an ash pan, is rated for 700 more square feet and will hold 240 pounds of pellets for a heck of a long burn time. The thing would probably burn for a week on low on one load.

Dang, starting to sound like and Englander sales rep.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I didn't intend for this topic to turn more towards a sale forum, as to which model is better or worse, etc. Just wanted to get people's input on how they handle ash removal from pellet stoves.

I think I'm on the side of those who prefer to have the ash pan...

personally, i use the "loveless ash vac" to clean mine (25-pdvc) works just ducky :) also works very well on my green egg smoker when i clean it out under the grate. also, it should be noted that stoves with ash pans often need to be cleaned through the door as well to get at areas where the ash doent end up in the pan. still the ash pan is a nice feature and likely any future units we produce will have them

petejung said:
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I didn't intend for this topic to turn more towards a sale forum, as to which model is better or worse, etc. Just wanted to get people's input on how they handle ash removal from pellet stoves.

No selling involved. I don't work for'em or own a pellet stove. I just noticed that the big box has one with an ash pan and a whopper of a hopper for a good price.

Good luck in your shopping. Lots of good stoves out there to choose from.

petejung said:

Me neither. Just an end user like you and trying to be helpful. I hate the ash pans on woodstoves, but you'd be hard pressed to find a woodstove without one. Re a pellet stove, I don't have one, so I couldn't tell you.

senorFrog said:
[I hate the ash pans on woodstove, but you'd be hard pressed to find a woodstove without one. Re a pellet stove, I don't have one, so I couldn't tell you.

Every wood stove should have an ash pan. They are the perfect place to hide the wife's jewelry when we go out of town.

Frog,

Regarding ash pans, which stoves( make /model) have you tried and what didn't you like about them?

BrotherBart said:
senorFrog said:
[I hate the ash pans on woodstove, but you'd be hard pressed to find a woodstove without one. Re a pellet stove, I don't have one, so I couldn't tell you.

Every wood stove should have an ash pan. They are the perfect place to hide the wife's jewelry when we go out of town.

Hey guys, now we know where to look when we're burgling in Northern Virginia.

rhetoric said:
BrotherBart said:
senorFrog said:

Hey guys, now we know where to look when we're burgling in Northern Virginia.

I know. I posted that so I can read in the paper where the cops are mystified about the rash of burglaries where ashes were flung all over the house.

Gunner said:
Frog,

Regarding ash pans, which stoves( make /model) have you tried and what didn't you like about them?

Just one, Jotul Oslo. It's really too small and shallow. Need to empty daily. If it over overflows it makes a big mess. I just got my ash trap and will be trying that out this year.

I have an ash drawer in my stove which I never use. I prefer my ash vacuum. I picked it up at Harbor Freight but don't see it on their site anymore. It is a metal can with a corrugated steel suction hose. A shop vac attaches to the top of can and creates a vacuum in the can which in turn causes the metal suction hose to suck(no puns intended). The ashes stay in the can asside from some of the finer dust. I put drywall bags in the vacuum so once a month or so I replace the bag. No mess, no dust. You just have to watch out for burning embers. They stay in the can, but they can cause the shop vac hose to warm up and suck itself shut. I replaced the shop vac hose with a piece of jacuzzi hose. Much heavier and designed for more heat. Sorry I can't give you a link, it's not on the site currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.