Englander - The Next Experiment...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of my problem is that I went from a smoke dragon type stoves to a mighty fine cat stove that is super controllable with the air intake damper and gives long clean burns without any tinkering.

In all fairness to this stove, what I have to work through is a porportional amount of wood for a clean shoulder season burn and the damper settings to make it work. It's a bit compounded because I'm not the only one in the house working the stove - so we all need to pay attention to what works and what does not.

I feel that the E/W burns will give me somewhat less heat, but more burn time. I've got plenty of headroom for more BTU output when the temps finally take a 24/7 plunge, but even then, I want to max out the time between reloading. I've had one burn that was about 9 hrs with plenty of coals to re-kindle the fire. So with the E/W burn, I can live with a lower stove output, especially knowing I can up things with a 90 degree turn of the wood.

But - I really like the N/S loading and the squareness of this firebox to do N/S or E/W.

Also, in fairness to the stove, when I bought my Keystone last year, I was chewing nails on this forum complaining about the black glass and scratching my head about what to do. When I relined to a 6 inch insulated liner, the draft greatly improved, the glass cleared long term and it was like I bought a new and different stove - the performance was so different.

On this Englander, I think the problem lies with this operator more than anything else and my expectations of it. The stove ain't going anywhere anytime soon and I'm going to make the best of it.

Thanks!
Bill

When you try the E/W burn put your sacrificial small dry split on the coals across the front. And give it time wide open to heat up every thing in the firebox. You will know it is time to start easing it down when you see gasses coming off the top of the stuff in the back and burning. I found that the reason E/W hadn't been working back when I kept trying it was that I was expecting to start easing down too soon. When I finally got it working, this season, I noticed that the time spent was actually less than I usually spend starting up a N/S load and trying to get it under control.

But be sure you are loading dry wood. One less than dry big split in there somewhere will make life miserable. As I found out night before last. Took me 30 minutes longer to get a good burn settled in than before because of having to cook the moisture out of that thing.

BrotherBart said:
Guys just realize that if you block off the doghouse air that you will have to provide sufficient primary air to maintain a burn. You won't be able to close primary air all the way down.
Does that stove allow complete shutoff of the primary air or is it designed so at full shut there is still a pretty good opening for air to get through?

wkpoor said:
BrotherBart said:
Guys just realize that if you block off the doghouse air that you will have to provide sufficient primary air to maintain a burn. You won't be able to close primary air all the way down.
Does that stove allow complete shutoff of the primary air or is it designed so at full shut there is still a pretty good opening for air to get through?

If you close the air down, the air wash is closed, the secondaries and the dog house will still get air though. There are other openings also but once the Englander folks mentioned "tertiary air" I gave up.

pen

pen said:
There are other openings also but once the Englander folks mentioned "tertiary air" I gave up.

That is the dog house air. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
pen said:
There are other openings also but once the Englander folks mentioned "tertiary air" I gave up.

That is the dog house air. :lol:

Doh :shut:

That brain cell musta have been shorted its ration of caffeine today

pen

What temps should alarm bells go off on a NC30?

Carol said:

I start pausing to reflect when it goes over seven hundred.

I try to keep it between six and seven reloading but heaven for me is when it cruises between five and five fifty.

BrotherBart said:
Carol said:

I start pausing to reflect when it goes over seven hundred.

I am digging "pausing to reflect".....good way to put it BB....I am gonna use that...better than saying "The pucker moment".... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
I am digging "pausing to reflect".....good way to put it BB....I am gonna use that...better than saying "The pucker moment".... :lol:

Gamma - I think the terms should be used carefully.

"pause and reflect" = seasoned old burner double checking what he/she knows to be true

"Pucker moment" = The moment you question your ability/knowledge to run a box full of flame in your house.

See - there is a difference.

Jags said:
GAMMA RAY said:

"pause and reflect" = seasoned old burner double checking what he/she knows to be true

"Pucker moment" = The moment you question your ability/knowledge to run a box full of flame in your house.

For me, it's not so much the temp, it's the motion of the needle. When I see it for from 300 to 650 in about 5 minutes, I definitely do more than pause and reflect! LoL.

I'm finding that if I don't chicken out around 700 it just seems to limit itself to just over that. But when that happens I just stand there staring at it like it could explode at an second. I have a mild sunburn from the other night.

Jags said:
GAMMA RAY said:

I bet BB had a pucker moment when the stovetop temp of his 30 went to 1000°……about a month ago....even old fogie seasoned burners get a pucker moment once in awhile... :)
Just saying Jagsy... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
...even old fogie seasoned burners get a pucker moment once in awhile... :)

Notice that my definition of "pucker moment" was not limited to unseasoned burners. It can happen to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.