England's stove works Madison drafting issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

asalligo

Sep 11, 2015
Tennessee
Good afternoon everyone, I am looking for suggestions on drafting issues that have started with my Madison. This is the third year using the stove in this configuration and until now I have not had drafting issues. Now I cannot open the stove even with a very hot fire and prevent smoke from filling the room with the vent fully open.

I assumed that my issue was proper cleaning of the stove pipe, so I purchased a rotary chimney cleaner and cleaned all portions of the stove pipe and roof cap, but the issue remains. So I turned my attention to the stove and made sure to clean all ash from it, but I still have the problem. I do have two 90 degree angles on my stove pipe, one above the stove and one outside the wall, but these have always been there and for two years it drafted fine. Any ideas?

Good afternoon everyone, I am looking for suggestions on drafting issues that have started with my Madison. This is the third year using the stove in this configuration and until now I have not had drafting issues. Now I cannot open the stove even with a very hot fire and prevent smoke from filling the room with the vent fully open.

I assumed that my issue was proper cleaning of the stove pipe, so I purchased a rotary chimney cleaner and cleaned all portions of the stove pipe and roof cap, but the issue remains. So I turned my attention to the stove and made sure to clean all ash from it, but I still have the problem. I do have two 90 degree angles on my stove pipe, one above the stove and one outside the wall, but these have always been there and for two years it drafted fine. Any ideas?

Is there a spark screen in your chimney cap? They clog up very easily.

Is there a spark screen in your chimney cap? They clog up very easily.

I have been concerned this was the issue. I tried to run my cleaner long against it, but I currently do not have the means to get to it as my stove pipe starts 20 feet off the ground, so my chimney cap is a solid 45 feet up. I will have to figure a way to get up there. Thanks

I have been concerned this was the issue. I tried to run my cleaner long against it, but I currently do not have the means to get to it as my stove pipe starts 20 feet off the ground, so my chimney cap is a solid 45 feet up. I will have to figure a way to get up there. Thanks

I suspect the screen is the culprit, happened to most of us. Clean it out and done.

might be able to visually inspect the screen from the ground with binoculars?