English Walnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I'm a new to burning, first year. I'm getting plenty of exercise scrounging up firewood around town. This is the second big score from Craigslist because the poster misspelled "Firewood" This ad for 3 cords of free Walnut was a week old when I found it. The posting headline- "Fir wod" was in the general for sale section. It is at least 3 and maybe close 4 cords of English walnut! Nice scenic drive out to Capay Valley in Yolo County, about 45 minutes. I read it is middle grade firewood. It sells for average $200 cord around here,can't beat free! Actually, it will cost me about $100. I rented a trailer, and 2 trips means $60 in gas for the truck. Already bucked into 18" rounds. I'll be hooking up "The Stickler"-DUHN,DUHN, DUHN!(scary music!)this weekend. Neighbors are starting to call me Paul Bunyan. I'm starting to think that my new habit of collecting firewood can also be a way to put away some $$ trying to sell some that I've collected. I have close to 8 cords since March 2012. Two cords of oak, 1 cord of mulberry, 1 mixed cord of cedar, pine, cottonwood. This 3-4 cords of walnut. All for free, just the price of fuel and effort.

Attachments

• walnut.jpg
    walnut.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 263
I reckon that "free" firewood will be worth every cent once it's seasoned and ready to burn.......
wink.gif

These pictured rounds are claimed to be down since last fall, lying in full sun since fall 2011. Our own UCDavis studies say it only takes a few months in local summer heat to season +/-20%, split and stacked. This a very low humidity area. I'm sure many will disagree, I have not tried it out myself yet. I have plenty of wood for this winter from scrounge that has been split and stacked in my yard over a year. Ya'all reckon in England? LOL, all in fun Sir, no offense. Yourself, being from England, how do like burning English Walnut? In Yolo, it comes from family farms, agribusiness, side of the road.

Split it into 4" to 5" splits and get 'er stacked up, it'll most likely be ready for this winter. BTW great score! And be EXTRA careful with that Stickler!

Status
Not open for further replies.