Enviro Empress FI - Pellet pot too full - Feed Rate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phil san

Jul 15, 2008
South Shore, MA
The pellet pot burns fine but the pot seems too full compared to last year, which was my first with pellets. . Even on low after an hour I will see a mound of burning pellets in the pot that is just below the drop chute. Most complain of inadequate on #1 but I am pleased.

Now this is all fine, the flame is good,heat excellent but worried about pot mound getting too big. Any way to contol the feed rate on this board?

Just started the insert this week. New in 2008, ran it 24/7 last season with no issues. Settings 1 -5 were fine with low 1 being just for asthetics but the flame not going out.
Totaly cleaned blowers, chimney, etc. This season was amazed at the good decent fire on the low and medium settings. Same pellets as last year.

Mag shows an Owners Manual recommendation of .15 and have a 3 sec green auger light with the exact times between cycles as listed by Enviro.

I'm thinking if anything it may be the auger. Tried shorter pellets - same, more draft -same, I'll let it go and watch it just wondering if this is norm? Thought the burn pot was only suppose to have a few pellets at a time in it.

thanks - just when I thought I knew it all.

Not saying this is it, but normally a too full burn pot is an indication of not enough burn air for the amount of pellets put in. You sure you got every nook & cranny when you cleaned? Ash traps? Flue pipe all the way to the top? No birds/bees nests? Took comb. blower out & scraped/cleaned the fan blades?

I'm just thinking out loud.....

I am agreeing with macman, Lack of air.

What color is your flame? Orange I'll bet.

Or your auger is turning more than it should. Are you actually seeing the auger cycle?

jay

I cleaned it super in early September. One thing I've learned from this group is CLEAN, CLEAN and more CLEAN. Leafblower the chimmney flex pipe, looked up in and it all clear and rain cap to. Pulled whole unit out. Blew Compressed air both blowers,cleaned in out behind everything, vacummed out pellet bin and auger, cleared vacumn tube.

The Mag Reading is .13 sometimes I set .15 but can go higher. The FLAME - bright, YELLOW, strong the way it is supposse to look. Close the damper and yes I can make it go orange.
Open up full and I get a blast furnace of yellow low flame. Doesn't make sense. Yet if my burn pot does not become an issue, the flame quality, pellet usage and heat are fine.
Going to be cold and rainy for 3 days so will give me a chance for longer and higher level burns. Nothing else has changed with the stove or the room conditions.

There is a way to adjust the feed rate on low settings. The standard setting is 3 seconds, the low is 2, and high i believe is 5. Press the auger trim button on the top right of the control panel, then use the heat button to change the setting, when you are done press the auger trim button again.

Open up the damper a tad more too.

Your lucky, on low my stove has a tiny flame on low barely going, after pushing in the damper a tad, and setting the low feed rate to max.

Forgot - Auger cycles on green 3 secs. Time in between cycles as best as I can tell without stop watch ( using head count) fine. i.e 1 - 11.5 sec, 2 - 8.5 sec

seige101 said:
There is a way to adjust the feed rate on low settings. The standard setting is 3 seconds, the low is 2, and high i believe is 5. Press the auger trim button on the top right of the control panel, then use the heat button to change the setting, when you are done press the auger trim button again.

Open up the damper a tad more too.

Your lucky, on low my stove has a tiny flame on low barely going, after pushing in the damper a tad, and setting the low feed rate to max.

No auger trim - 2008 FI model. Love it the way it burns on low. Glass not sooting up at all in over 24 hours. Tried some new Okanagan smaller pellets. No difference in build up
but "plug" better heat output.

phil san said:
....Blew Compressed air both blowers......

Does that mean you just blew the air into the blowers without removing them?

If so, I'd recommend actually removing the combustion blower from the stove. The fins on the fan get pretty hot, and the soot gets baked on somewhat. I have to use a wire brush (carefully) on the fins, and a flexible putty knife underneath the fins on the flat part of the motor housing.

Not saying for sure this is going to make a dramatic difference, but should be done at every major cleaning.

Yes, Just blew air into blowers. I did not diassemble the blower but did wipe the blades with a cloth attached to a screw driver. There realy wasn't much stuck to them. Even after burning 4 tons I only had like an inch of ash in the bottom of the T. I'm going to pull it out this weekend and reinspect. Let you all know after.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.