1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

enviro fire EF 2 fan controller switch still has no control

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Evi Morrison, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Evi Morrison

Evi Morrison New Member

hopefully some one on here can help me out because i am lost. i did exactly what every manuel has said to test the switch and and they all point to the fan controller switch being bad. replaced the switch and still no control. would like some help on this problem I'm right now lost on what else could be the problem. any insight to this would be great thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chamas

chamas Member

Loc:
    PNW
    Which fan?
  3. Evi Morrison

Evi Morrison New Member

Oops. It's the convection blower. The one the fan controller is supposed to control
  4. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I repaired an EF-3 blower fan knob a couple of weeks ago . I believe it is similar to the EF-2. In this case the potentiometer was correctly changing resistance to bias the Triac to reduce the fan voltage to lower the room fan speed. However the Triac was bad and the fan would only run on high. Therefore I replace the module with a new Fan speed knob and resolved the problem. I also put the stove on a surge protector. Any power surges after a storm can ruin the Triacs on most pellet stove control boards.
    Here is the part
    http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Enviro_Fan_Controller_with_Knob_115V_p/ef-045.htm
  5. Evi Morrison

Evi Morrison New Member

The link you sent me sends me to a fan controller. I don't think that's the part you wanted me to go to. I already replaced that. Not sure what the triac is. It looks like the wires go to a blue box in the back of the stove then to the blower. Is the blue box what your talking about ?
  6. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    The Triac I am referring to is in that Fan Controller box.
    I posted a picture of the triac. It is in the 3rd pic here of my thread.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/enviro-ef-3-room-blower-only-runs-on-high.103408/#post-1337256

The blue box you are referring to is the Auger Timing module that only controls the auger timing for the different heat settings.

If you look at the wiring diagram on page 31 of the owner's manual you can see.
    http://www.enviro.com/images/manuals-brochures/owners-manuals/C-11219 Instruction EF2 Domestic Owner's Manual.pdf
  7. Evi Morrison

Evi Morrison New Member

I replaced the fan controller
  8. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Then it is possible the room blower is bad.
  9. Evi Morrison

Evi Morrison New Member

The fan it's self? I wired direct to 115 then put a dimmer switch in it and it worked fine