Enviro M55 Cast overheating issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dana.r

Dec 17, 2012
SW Connecticut
It's been a while since I've posted because things have been running well. As many have experienced the temps the last few weeks have been very low. My stove (M55 Cast Free Standing) was running 24/7 on 3 for over a week. As soon as we had a day over freezing I turned the stove off to give it a thorough cleaning. After I cleaned everything out and restarted the stove it overheated. Reset it and it overheated again on 2. I immediately knew the culprits. Turns out the convection blower was not starting. I measured the voltage and it was getting power but not spinning. I pulled it out and luckily a local store had one in stock.

So with the new blower in I fired the stove up on 2 (since it was warm for a couple of days) and all seemed fine. The temp has dropped again and I turned it up to 3. Stove ran for about 5 hours and overheated. Ran in on 2 and everything seems OK. Again today put it up to 3 and it overheated after about 4-5 hours. Both trims are set on 3 (the middle) as they have always been. Other than putting in the blower nothing else should have changed. Anyone have an idea as to what the issue may be? I'm flat out of ideas.

Thanks!

New blower OEM? New blower made to work with speed control? High limit disc may have been damaged during one of the other overheats.

Yes the new blower is OEM. Exact part number from manual. By adjusting the feed level the fan does respond by going faster/slower.

I don't believe the high limit disc was damaged. The last time it popped the stove was so hot that the firebox area was glowing red for minutes after the stove shut down. The top got so hot I had to use gloves to remove it. I just can't figure out why it's getting so hot.

Convection blower running on high?

Does this stove have the upgraded convection blower and auger cover. M55 stoves we’re notorious for overheating and tripping the high limit switch when they hit the market. Enviros fix was a stronger blower to get the heat out of the stove quicker and the auger cover to help control pellet feed. Make sure you’re stove has both and if not you need to talk to your dealer. Should be replaced under warranty

Reactions: Ssyko
The original convection fan lasted less than a season. The 'new' designed one is the one that just died, lasted about 5 years. The replacement is identical to the one that was in the stove. While replacing the fan I also put in a new capacitor.

I don't have the auger cover/restrictor and didn't need it with the new fan. That said I did have the same thought and tonight I turned down the feed trim in hopes that it might help. We will find out in a few hours if it makes any difference.

Looks like I may have found the problem. The agitator does not seem to be turning. Not sure when this happened but explains the overheating. Hopefully the issue is now resolved. Will report the results.