Enviro M55 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KJA88

Jan 3, 2019
Eastern Long Island, NY
Hi Everyone

Have been using my Enviro M55 for a year now.

Was just wondering what everyone sets there settings to.

Combustion Air Trim
Feed Trim
Heat Level

I currently have the following:
CAT = 2
Feed = 2
Heat level = 5

I always run on Hi/Lo controlled by thermostat during the week.
On weekends I run on manual and keep her on heat level 5 all day and it keeps the house at 80 on main floor.
I would like to to get her to run at heat level 3 but I do not get that good of a flame and heat level is drastically reduced.

If I dont set the Heat at 5 I dont get the warmth output I need.
If I run the Heat level at 3, I have almost no flame at all.
If I set the CAT above 2 I get an inconsistent small flame.
Do I need to bump up the Feed rate to get a good bigger flame? How much more pellets would it burn up?

I have read on hear where someone keeps it a heat level of 3(a post that had a running review of the M55) always but I never notice what the feed trim and cat levels are at.

I go thru a bag a day in my current setting I use.

I clean the stove every weekend.

Have had it professionally cleaned as well.

No OAK.

House is moderatly tight, built in 73, attic space redone with no floorboards and joist sealed, knew blown in installation.
Temp between first floor and second floor is within 3-5 degrees of each other when running on hi/lo mode. No basement, house on slab. 3000 sq feet.
It can pretty much heat the whole house.

Any help on what everyone's settings they use would be awesome.

Thanks

Kevin

Sound like you need to open up the auger cover in the hopper some more. It will allow more pellets into the auger shaft quicker. So than it feeds more. You shouldn't have to open it up more than 3/4 of the way. At that point it should trip the high heat sensor within 2 hours when the stove is on heat level 5

I have a M55-Cast Freestanding and I run mine on Level 3 most of the season. Bump it up to Level 4 if GF is cold or it is windy outside.
Combustion air trim on 4
Feed trim on 2 or 3

But it depends on what pellets I'm burning.
Keeps my place at a comfortable 70 ish

Sounds like you are having a venting problem.
Connect a Magnahelic gage up see what your venting situation is. Sounds like you need adjustment.
After a 1 hour burn at level 5 with the default CAT 3 FT 3 you should be reading .15-.18 inches of water column.
As stated in your manual.
Your running with no OAK and a tight house is probably not helping your flame/heat.
The stove needs to breath. Does the flame pick up if you open a door or window?

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Also

Thx everyone whom have responded.
I think I figured it out.
On Saturday night the wife and I are in the den a 20x30 room where the M55 is inserted into the fireplace..
She starts complaining she feels a cold air draft.
I notice the same when I sit by her. Strange.
So, Sunday I perform a major cleaning, like I do every Sunday morning.
Way way too much ash buildup. Way more then usual.
Cleaned her all up, remove any soot buildup in the tube area(this is the only pita with this unit) Very hard to clean it and I am a bit OCD when cleaning it making sure I get it all out. Remove any carbon from burn pot.
Put her back together, place a handful of pellets in firebox to help the startup and she wont light.
Reset the board to start over and she finally kicks over.
Flame is really really lazy and I have more flame coming out the bottom sides of the firebox then from inside the firebox.
My pops came up from PA and notices the same. He has a 20 year old Thelin (absolutely beautiful unit)
He notices the same lazy flame and the flames coming from the bottom sides of the firebox.
There was a ton of pellets not getting burned and accumulating on the sides of the firebox, eventually catching fire and then falling into the ash pan. This has been happening since the first fire up this winter in late Oct.
We opened up the patio door to see if it would help and it did nothing.
So we decided to take off the side panels to the M55.
Holy cow what a difference.
Big beautiful flame.
The heat that came out I couldn't keep my hand in front of the vent tubes it was coming out so hot.
So know I am keeping the side panels until I can get an OAK installed as its obvious the house is too tight now.
Probably due to me plugging up some drafts around windows and my doors. I took a candle on a windy day about 2 months ago to look for drafts and I resealed some windows and my 3 exterior doors.
So I ran the stove this way without the panel all afternoon and all night, set on Hi/Lo, thermostat set at 70 degrees, CAT at 5, Fuel Trim at 2, Heat Level at 5 just too see how she would run.
She ran perfect, hardly used any pellets over night.
Before all this I was going thru pellets like crazy and so much ash buildup.
Oh and also had holes in the chimney top base that I shored up as well.
So I gather with the chimney holes fixed and the reseal of windows and doors the stove was starving for air.

Going to call my installer dealer to see if we cant get an OAK up the chimney and separate the exhaust from the OAK someway.

Thanks for everyone chiming in.

I gotta ask how does the side panels affect the intake air?

Ok well i had to study the manual a bit and all i can think of is the stove is sealed into the opening very well and the chimney is sealed as well (which is good). sounds like you really need an OAK. :)

Here is a pic right after the cleaning on Sunday.

As you can see very lazy flame and more flame coming from the sides of the firebox.

Also the glass door gets very dark brown almost black on bottom and sides of glass.

Many un-burnt pellets or charred pellets are falling into the ash pan as well.I clean the unit every Sunday from top to bottom, front to rear. No I don't clean out the vent tubes. A full major cleaning from the dealer is performed where they hook up the rails and slide her out to get to the back side and clean the vent tube and access to all the blowers and fans as well as cleaning the firebox.
They stated the unit is very clean so my weekly cleanings are helping.

The pic below is on Heat Level 5, Air at 2, Fuel Trim at 3.
Tried all different Air and Fuel Trim and no change to the flame.
I am guessing when we sealed up the chimney holes they found last aug/sep and after they did there cleaning maybe the bumped into the air damper on the left hand side?
I tried moving it a bit last night but it made no difference.
I have tried opening doors/windows. Makes no difference.
I have burned Stove Chows, Green Supreme, Greene Team, also a Hardwood/Softwood blend I cant remember the name.
No difference at all and all the same amount of ash.

IMG_2021.JPG

the air intake is in the back of the stove inside the fireplace. your probably gonna have to run an OAK to the top of chimney to get air. some ppl have gone through the ash clean out. your installer should have addressed this.

the air intake is in the back of the stove inside the fireplace. your probably gonna have to run an OAK to the top of chimney to get air. some ppl have gone through the ash clean out. your installer should have addressed this.

I have tried calling my dealer the past 2 days, left voice mail messages and finally spoke to someone who stated they will have someone call me back. No call back to date. I may have to call another dealer.
I did bump up the Fuel Trim yesterday up to level 5. Seems to have helped some but still not a nice roaring flame like last year.
Last year I was getting over 500 degrees coming out of the unit. This year I am getting barely over 300.
What if I try setting up a fan and blowing air towards the unit?

i would remove the side panels again until the oak can be installed. fan wont do anything if the air cant get to the back of the stove