Enviro Milan Motherboard Replacement Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BARTSFAM

Jan 21, 2009
Central MA
No power in Central Mass today, so I started the generator, used a heavy duty outdoor extension cord, and put a surge protector power strip into the extension cord. Plugged in the Enviro Milan insert into the power strip....and POW! One big spark and a pop that sounded like a firecracker in a can. Enviro Milan and power strip, both fried! Where the plug goes into the motherboard is blackened with soot. I replaced the fuse, knowing that it wouldn't work, and it didn't.
My Enviro Milan is 12 years old, I do not see the motherboard for sale anywhere, Part.#50-1392. I see the newest ones for sale, and they say that they will work on my era Milan. But do I need the newest daughter board too? Will the new motherboard work with my old daughter board?
I see the new daughter board has trim settings for combustion blower and trim rate. My old daughter board has on/off and five speeds.
I guess I'm worried about using the newest boards with the old Milan.
I'm also worried that something else got fried beside the motherboard.
Any advice anyone?

I would also figure out what happened. You don't want to fry another board..

Unless the generator is pure sine wave thats what I believe took out the board. Surge protector wont help on that, only voltage spikes and surges

Dirty power = empty wallet. :)

I don't know what happened with the generator...but the strange thing is that the pellet stove got fried, but the blue tooth speaker survived fine.

I don't know what happened with the generator...but the strange thing is that the pellet stove got fried, but the blue tooth speaker survived fine.
Go figure

Better filtering.

Hi Bart- Yep use the new motherboard, better operation but expensive, believe its the 2088or 2089 board, has the new daughter board too. Have had one for years on my Empress. Prob was the generator but sounds strange that it happened, run mine off my generator all the time in power outages (my Quad castille too) with no issues. The new board does have separate fuses for each component, a nicety too.
Just expensive... Good luck with her.

Reactions: Ssyko
Got the new motherboard today. It took almost a week from Vermont to Massachusetts! The pony express would have been quicker. Must be the Christmas rush.
I installed it..it took longer to get the old daughter board out. One nut was stripped, and I've never even touched that nut before.
But I got it running and all seems to be fine and back in working order. I have to get used to the extra features as the old control panel didn't have feed rate trim and combustion blower trim.
I was wondering about the 5 fuses. I guess, like you said, each one covers a different function.

Reactions: stovelark
I was wondering about the 5 fuses. I guess, like you said, each one covers a different function.
Fuses are a good thing ..

One of the corollaries to Murphy's Law: Sensitive electronic equipment always tries to protect fast-acting fuses by blowing first . . .

Reactions: johneh and Ssyko
Hey Bart, glad you got going. The new board is a smoother operating one too, voltage is more stable for the motors, hopefully it last many seasons for you as the investment was a bit high... Happy new year.