EPA insert into factory built Majestic....help..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
Hello all,

I currently have a 42" Majestic fireplace ZC (factory built) insert. I would like to put an EPA certified insert into it. I know Lopi has a small hybrid fyre insert that is basically for factory built units. But I am having a hard time find an answer to my question. Will my Majestic support it? It is very similar to the Sovereign Wood 42" model. I need to look up paperwork at home for exact specs. Can anyone elaborate? Also, i am under a time crush as a local dealer is selling for up to 40% off for 2 days only. Thanks.

Hello all,

I currently have a 42" Majestic fireplace ZC (factory built) insert. I would like to put an EPA certified insert into it. I know Lopi has a small hybrid fyre insert that is basically for factory built units. But I am having a hard time find an answer to my question. Will my Majestic support it? It is very similar to the Sovereign Wood 42" model. I need to look up paperwork at home for exact specs. Can anyone elaborate? Also, i am under a time crush as a local dealer is selling for up to 40% off for 2 days only. Thanks.
What model number is the fireplace? Do you have the manual for it?

I do. I will have to get it later this afternoon/evening when i get home.
Chances are the manual for the fireplace says you cant use any parts accessories that are not approved and listed in the manual. Some even say specifically no inserts. There are a few fireplaces that do allow inserts but i dont think majestic does. You will have to check the manual.

Then the caution at the top of page 20 clearly says only approved vc and majestic components can be used.

Thanks for the help. Well, would you happen to know of a EPA ZC fireplace that would fit with almost the same specs? I am working on a corner wall, next to an outside wall and cant really change the living room too much. Thanks.

After speaking with Travis Industries rep and looking at their installation manual. It states as if the Lopi Hybrid is safe for Majestic inserts.

After speaking with Travis Industries rep and looking at their installation manual. It states as if the Lopi Hybrid is safe for Majestic inserts.
They cannot over ride the fireplaces instructions that very clearly say no inserts. Code requires you to follow the instructions for all ul listed components not just one of them.

They cannot over ride the fireplaces instructions that very clearly say no inserts. Code requires you to follow the instructions for all ul listed components not just one of them.

I understand the Rep making a sale, but why would he say the company takes on all liability once the insert is in place? I guess I am missing something? Maybe they tested their unit on a new model Majestic that is safe for inserts? Perhaps I have an old unit that wont accept it huh? I apologize for all the questions. I just want to make sure we are safe!
But hate the factory BS!

I understand the Rep making a sale, but why would he say the company takes on all liability once the insert is in place? I guess I am missing something? Maybe they tested their unit on a new model Majestic that is safe for inserts? Perhaps I have an old unit that wont accept it huh? I apologize for all the questions. I just want to make sure we are safe!
But hate the factory BS!
He said that because he knows he can without it meaning anything at all. Now if you ask them to tell you they will take on all liabilty for that fireplace in writing you will get a different response.

He said that because he knows he can without it meaning anything at all. Now if you ask them to tell you they will take on all liabilty for that fireplace in writing you will get a different response.

Thanks Bholler for the answers. I hate to tear out the wall and put a stove or epa fireplace in. I was hoping to get away with a less invasive manner. Here are a couple pics of my current setup. Majestic SC36. I was looking at some EPA ZC Fireplaces, but I don't want to move the wall out. Anyone know some more reputable brands with smaller fireplaces? Thanks.

Attachments

• EPA insert into factory built Majestic....help..
    IMG_0341.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 138
  • EPA insert into factory built Majestic....help..
    IMG_0342.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 119
Thanks Bholler for the answers. I hate to tear out the wall and put a stove or epa fireplace in. I was hoping to get away with a less invasive manner. Here are a couple pics of my current setup. Majestic SC36. I was looking at some EPA ZC Fireplaces, but I don't want to move the wall out. Anyone know some more reputable brands with smaller fireplaces? Thanks.
What is behind the fireplace? That is typically how we remove units like yours it leaves the face undisturbed. That really only helps if you can find a new unit with atleast close to the same opening.

What is behind the fireplace? That is typically how we remove units like yours it leaves the face undisturbed. That really only helps if you can find a new unit with atleast close to the same opening.

Behind the fireplace is a bedroom and the outside wall. The house is all brick except for the chimney/vent area which is vinyl. So tearing it out from behind would not be fun!

Behind the fireplace is a bedroom and the outside wall. The house is all brick except for the chimney/vent area which is vinyl. So tearing it out from behind would not be fun!
No not fun but if you could find a unit that would work with the face working through the bedroom could be the cheapest. And easiest.

FWIW - I had a Majestic Zero-clearance fireplace last year and wanted to replace it with a wood-insert. I was having problems finding an insert that would be able to fit in the cavity (it was 20"). Then I found about a "hearth heater" made by Regency that can fit on the hearth and the rear-facing exhaust can be routed through the zero-clearance chimney (with a exhaust pipe coming from the back of the unit up the fireplace chimney and hooking up to a chimney cap).

Heats 1700 sq ft just fine and the fellow who does yearly inspections/cleaning mentioned that this was the way he would have installed the wood stove and flexible metal pipe up the chimney.

I guess I am not opposed by ripping out the front wall. I would like to redo that (some day). But I guess what I am trying to say, is that I don't want to move the wall out any. If I can, I would like to utilize the existing framing and such. My living room is tight how it is. Plus the wife (boss) wants a flush mouth. She doesn't like traditional stoves or inserts!

This has been discussed before, and the short answer is no, it isn't feasible. You need to tear it out and build an alcove. but first find out what clearances you need for the stove you want and stick to that.

Is the majestic zero clearance rated UL 127 ? if so many insert manufacturers state they can go in a pre fab If the proper liner is used

Is the majestic zero clearance rated UL 127 ? if so many insert manufacturers state they can go in a pre fab If the proper liner is used
Yes it is untill you pull the damper and put an unapproved accessory in the form of an insert in it. At that point because it is clearly not installed according to manufacturer's instructions the listing is void. And then that insert cant be installed in it either.

Is the majestic zero clearance rated UL 127
It certainly is rated 127, the only thing the OP can do is get factory confirmation from the zero clearance manufacturer that it would be ok to install a insert into the unit, which is highly unlikely.
Walls may still need to be opened up to, a lot of these builders units are installed with a air cooled chimney, there is a duct that provides the air source, that will need to be disconnected / plated off (its located in the guts of the system) a confirmation of chimney type and diameter needs to be established and an insulated liner will need to be installed if air cooled type.
The chimney damper would have to be removed (to me its trivial, because the damper needs to be fully opened to operate the fireplace anyway)
The insert needs to specifically installed not to destroy the front refectory lip due to design heat / venting.
In the end its a lot of work and may not be worth it, the manufacture's of both units need to agree on the install, the insurance co needs to agree / adjust the policy, and you need a competent installer, this isn't just a simple run a liner and throw a metal box into a hole in the wall.

Reactions: bholler