Equinox users- how is front loading? and other questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i kind of agree about the visuals but as a fireplace it just sucks the heat out. Looked for inserts that might be approiate but have not been able to find one- a set of custom doors cost almost what an equinox would and would not provide much efficiency. I even contacted some experienced masons regarding trying to retrofit some type of masonry heater into it and the opinions were that there was too much mass.

With regards to the dark stone.... Mine has darkened noticabley with use. It also has more rust streaking and white streaking from the stone. I even believe that it is darker when hot.

Attachments

• smallcup.jpg
    smallcup.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 273
threepin said:
i kind of agree about the visuals but as a fireplace it just sucks the heat out. Looked for inserts that might be approiate but have not been able to find one- a set of custom doors cost almost what an equinox would and would not provide much efficiency. I even contacted some experienced masons regarding trying to retrofit some type of masonry heater into it and the opinions were that there was too much mass.

Well if thats the case, I say go for it. The Equinox was my choice and I looked long and hard for the right stove for my home. It's great looking, easy to use and always ready with power to spare.

just got back from the factory and had a chance to see the mansfield in the current stone color and the blue/black enamel- very nice -much, much nicer than the older mansfield in stock at my dealer. the Rep i talked to was quite informative and definitely steered me toward the mansfield- nice to see how they are put together. To I got to see the heatshield in place and could really see how that would benefit me without really showing much.

ok what does everybody think of this?
any one want to take a stab at photochopping?

Attachments

• factory mansfield.jpg
    factory mansfield.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 239
Way too finished looking for that big stone fireplace.

the moores 403b?

it won't be doing any more heating as you cant get anthracite here - but we used it in the east- man could that throw some heat - and burn times were incredible- now it just sits around in its second retirement and looks good

No the shiny stove in the post above it. It is a beautiful stove but seems like it would be out of place in that big natural stone fireplace.

interesting,
the enamel is the blue black- not really shiny- more of a semi-gloss. Its the most durable finish as it is a single coat. The stone is the current in -line soapstone-did not really seem shiny in person- I think maybe the lighting in the factory is making it look that way in the pic. thanks for your opinion.

Is there anyone in this forum with experience in stove restoration?- I'll probably start another thread for that

As I said above, I still think that polished stone stove is going to look pretty weird in that beautiful rustic stone fireplace!

That fireplace is beautiful Todd. Does it perform as advertised?

Yes, I've seen it in action a couple times and it really throws the heat and has a large view of the fire. Since the OP has such a large fire box I wonder if that would fit inside just like an insert?

they are nice looking but the height is such that there is no way to get them in without removing the top of the arch and gutting the back of the firebox- spent some time looking for others that might work or inserts that were big enough (thought maybe I could have a custom surround made) -did not really find anything yet

Status
Not open for further replies.