Etiquette for cutting in neighbor's yard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JBinKC said:
Urban firewood- You should try to take it all. The small branches can be used as kindling and in your case scoring mulberry the small stuff would also be great for smoking poultry.

Absolutely. It sure is,also excellent with pork & beef.I like to keep some around to extend my apple wood supply,the flavor is very similar.

I just have to say it, been holding it inside to not ruffle anyones feathers, but cannot any longer.

Maybe its just me, but I think its rude to go ask for free wood, and then even wonder if you should clean up the mess.
Of course you should clean it up.
If you want wood with no work, then look in your local paper and pay the $350 a cord, or whatever the rate is in your area.

No way would I go to someones place, ask for the wood, and then just take the valueable pieces and leave the mess for them.
And why not burn the branches to, they are real wood, and release BTU's like the rest of the wood does.

Years ago I askeda neighbour if i could have the downed trees in their yard.
They said sure, and I took it.
I spent my time after removing the big stuff, to clean it up well.
Even a fine rake and snow shovel to get as much of the chainsaw chips as possible.

I have used it for grill smoke in the past and have recently got a multi fuel smoker. So, I am looking forward to doing some major smokage. When used for smoking, is it best to let it season along with the rest or does green do a decent job?

I started bucking the tree today and after filling one truck bed and barely making a dent, I know I have a lot of wood and work on my hands. When I told the neighbor I was going to cut, she just waved me on, smiled and closed the door.

Wingman said:
I have used it for grill smoke in the past and have recently got a multi fuel smoker. So, I am looking forward to doing some major smokage. When used for smoking, is it best to let it season along with the rest or does green do a decent job?

I started bucking the tree today and after filling one truck bed and barely making a dent, I know I have a lot of wood and work on my hands. When I told the neighbor I was going to cut, she just waved me on, smiled and closed the door.

Mulberry,like its cousin Osage Orange/Hedge,has a milky sap thats similar to latex.When used in any wood burning appliance,its best to let it dry out a year or so,longer if you can.That rule especially applies when using it for smoking.If split & cut in short chunks 8" or so,then piled in a sunny windy spot,you can shave a few months off the time though.

Cut and remove what you're going to use for firewood, pile up the leftovres and brush and burn it for them. You're both doing each other a favor here...you're offering to clear up a mess for them, they're giving you firewood.

My own thoughts . . .

Ask the neighbor what they would like you to do . . . it's their tree, their wood and their yard . . . they may just want you to take care of the big stuff or they may expect you to remove everything.

That said . . . my own take is if the neighbor is doing you the larger favor by giving you some free wood then I would do the right thing and clean up the area as I would want it cleaned up if this was my own property.

+1
What Jake said...

Status
Not open for further replies.