Excessive draft Question (shorten pipe )

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis 2

Nov 29, 2007
western MA
I'm getting excessive draft . I can shorten my wood chase that my Jackes -Evans pipe goes through, which would let me shorten my pipe 3Ft. ( Chimney is 28ft high) . before I go through all this work , Would this help enough to slow my draft down for longer burns .
thanks
Dennis

Attachments

• cellar hole.jpg
    cellar hole.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 271
what about putting a damper in the stack? they are cheap and if it doesn't work you just leave it wide open and nothing is affected.

Barometric Draft Regulator this may help, work for me

A pipe damper (if properly installed) has the ability to darn near shut off the exhaust pipe. Between the air controls of your stove and the pipe damper, you should be able to control your burn rate at almost an infinite level. 28 ft of pipe is not that unusual. Something doesn't add up.

I have 27' of liner here and although a strong draft, nothing out of control.
I'd double check for leaks.

high winds with no wind breaks is the problem with mine

smokinj said:
I Have a Barometric Draft Regulator installed. It did help some, but not enough . I had the stove checked out and its fine . I do get alot of cross west wind . I was thinking about putting a down draft cap on , which also helps to much up-draft .

Dennis 2 said:
smokinj said:
I Have a Barometric Draft Regulator installed. It did help some, but not enough . I had the stove checked out and its fine . I do get alot of cross west wind . I was thinking about putting a down draft cap on , which also helps to much up-draft .
i think your on the right track

Status
Not open for further replies.