Exhaust pipe placement for basement install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
I am putting a P68 in the basement with a T and then vertical pipe for better drafting. The OAK is also being installed. The basement is a walkout and the install wall is the only side not cement and not below grade.

Question is this (hope it is not asked here too often, but I am sure it has: I just cant find the thread). Should I put the T and vertical inside or outside. I have received conflicting recommendations from dealers. I realize that the T inside wil mean cleaning inside, but it has also been pointed out that this setup allows for an easier (although dirtier inside)cleaning mid winter if needed.

Also concerned about snow cover in that area of the house. This side can get some deep snow at times, but not really a side that drifts. It has been pointed out that there would not be any snow in that area due to the exhaust heat, but over the past few winters there have been too many deaths in the neighboring states due to furnace direct vents being covered over by snow drifts.

Any suggestions on either setup?

Thanks !!!!!

[quote author="gbreda" date="1252596876"] It has been pointed out that there would not be any snow in that area due to the exhaust heat,
quote]

if that were true, there'd be no code about it. also, how silly, try to start a cold stove when the cap os covered in snow...

as for your install, did we already speak on the phone? your situation sounds very familiar. if so, i wont bother repeating my self here...

Wood Heat Stoves said:
gbreda said:
It has been pointed out that there would not be any snow in that area due to the exhaust heat,
quote]

if that were true, there'd be no code about it. also, how silly, try to start a cold stove when the cap os covered in snow...

as for your install, did we already speak on the phone? your situation sounds very familiar. if so, i wont bother repeating my self here...

True, I have decided on a vertical rise as I want to make sure of a good draft in case of power failure. Sorry if I may not have been clear on that. But, if the Harman exhaust/OAK wall thimble is at stove height, then only the OAK inlet is at ground level, correct? That is if I go out, then up.

I have not spoken with you about this, so some insight may be helpful on the T/vertical rise inside or outside.

If you run a vertical outside you may creat a problem of the exhaust getting to cool and getting condensation problems. I would keep it inside and run straight out the wall after you have the height you need.
I have a friend who tried to do a outside rise and the moisture condensed in the pipe and caused problems but it could have been caused by -30 degree weather too.

Status
Not open for further replies.