Exterior clay 6x10 chimney, EPA stove - double wall pipe worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
Installing an EPA stove in the insulated basement, connecting to existing exterior clay tile chimney (6x10... about 23' high). I know that I should be lining it but don't have the cash right now so going to try a season without.

Will only have around 4-5' of stovepipe up and out. Read on here that double wall will allow for a better draft with the hotter exhaust.... is it worth it?

Thanks

An exterior 6 x 10 chimney is not likely to draft very well; and I don't think that 4-5' of double wall pipe is going to help much.

However, if you intend on lining the chimney in the future, then invest in the double wall pipe now --'cus you will want it later!

BTW, you won't get a 6"SS liner down that 6x10 clay liner. I just went through this myself. I ended up breaking out the entire clay liner so that the 6" rigid would fit. I had a welder build me a tool to do this --made the job much easier!! I'll never use the tool again, so if you are interested in it, I'll sell it to you cheap!! I live in Coldstream (Vernon).

It's worth a try. The 6 x 10 might work out ok. You may get a better result from softening the 90 degree turn, if you can use a pair of 45s with a short connector in between.

An exterior 6 x 10 chimney is not likely to draft very well; and I don't think that 4-5' of double wall pipe is going to help much.

However, if you intend on lining the chimney in the future, then invest in the double wall pipe now --'cus you will want it later!

BTW, you won't get a 6"SS liner down that 6x10 clay liner. I just went through this myself. I ended up breaking out the entire clay liner so that the 6" rigid would fit. I had a welder build me a tool to do this --made the job much easier!! I'll never use the tool again, so if you are interested in it, I'll sell it to you cheap!! I live in Coldstream (Vernon).

Ok, you've got me curious. How's a tool like that work/made? 23' rebar with a big chisel on the end?

Another alternative would be Duraliner oval liner. It's pre-insulated and comes 7 3/4" x 4 3/4" OD for this kind of situation. The product line is robust with options for most any installation.

http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=6

Ok, you've got me curious. How's a tool like that work/made? 23' rebar with a big chisel on the end?
Your guess is pretty close! I got the first 7 or 8 feet out with a long bar and a hammer - but couldn't go further 'cus the bar wasn't long enough!
The welder made me a 9.5' chisel from 3/4" pipe. The chisel is about 4" wide and has an angled piece welded perpendiclar to the chisel. He also made me 3 -3.5'extensions - so about 20 feet in all. got pretty heavy when all the extensions were attached. Was still hard work, but actually went quite quickly.
cheers!

Your guess is pretty close! I got the first 7 or 8 feet out with a long bar and a hammer - but couldn't go further 'cus the bar wasn't long enough!
The welder made me a 9.5' chisel from 3/4" pipe. The chisel is about 4" wide and has an angled piece welded perpendiclar to the chisel. He also made me 3 -3.5'extensions - so about 20 feet in all. got pretty heavy when all the extensions were attached. Was still hard work, but actually went quite quickly.
cheers!
lol, I guess.

I'll definitely keep it in mind when it comes time to decide about the liner. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.